Third Party Instant Booking

Karen307
Level 4
Durham, NC

Third Party Instant Booking

Hi All,

I had a guest with a number of positive reviews instant book several weeks ago. Her check in is today. The booking message simply said something like "visiting family in beautiful Durham". I acknowledged her booking and asked her to give me an ETA when closer to the time. Having not had any communication at all (and no reply to my request for ETA) I messaged last night. She responds that she actually made the booking for her parents and her brother would be picking them up from the airport and bringing them her. She gave me his cell number to coordinate with him. I wrote back saying I was surprised to learn that the booking was not for her and asked to have her brother contact me when they are about 30 minutes away. Since I didn't know what else to do / say, I said I would look for her parents this afternoon. Not realizing that third party bookings are against ABB policy, I didn't want to get the visit started on the wrong foot and risk a bad review.  

The situation is stressing me. It has been weighing on my mind that she booked for a third party without even telling / asking me about it. So I looked up the ABB policy and see that it is against their policies. At this point, I don't really know what to do. I only accept instant bookings from people that have prior positive host reviews - but this seems like a work around. I really don't appreciate the deception but don't know if I should contact ABB at this point to cancel the reservation. Thoughts and suggestions? 

Thanks in advance,

Karen

8 Replies 8
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Karen307  Chances are they will probably be fine, but if you are truly uncomfortable, yes, you should Contact Airbnb and let them re-home the guests.  I would also message the daughter and let her know you are uncomfortable with the third-party booking since this is against Airbnb policy and you have contacted them to have the reservation changed.

Thanks @Cynthia-and-Chris1 and @Alice-and-Jeff0 for the replies! At this late point I will see how it goes at check in. 

@Karen307 - Agree with @Cynthia-and-Chris1.  In the past, Airbnb has gotten the parents to create a profile and they rebook with the correct guests.  But the deception is not cool. 

BTW, in case you didn't know, it's a very busy weekend here in Durham - Alumni Weekend and Full Frame are both underway. You might double check why they're here in Durham.  We've been booked since December.  A few weeks ago isn't really "last minute" but I'd definitely ask a few extra questions.  

Karen307
Level 4
Durham, NC

Update: I should have gone with my instincts. The son (who lives in town) arrived with the parents from the airport and immediately started to complain that the location isn't closer to downtown Durham. My listing clearly states that the home is about 9 miles from Durham and, of course, the ABB map shows the location. He asked about my cancellation policy (which is moderate) and they decided to stay. (All this around 6:30PM).

So I took them to the basement apartment. The son immediately went to the bathroom (without asking to and then when he got out asked me if that was the bathroom the parents are supposed to use (???). If not, then it was kind of weird to just run to any bathroom in a stranger's house - but that's rather minor. And there isn't any other bathroom in the apartment). The apartment is around 900 square feet give or take - but the father asks me "is this all there is?"  Most guest find the accommodations adequate and even make comments like "larger than expected" "quite spacious", etc. I'm not sure the Mom speaks much English. The son pointed out the parents are checking out Sunday morning - which is what the reservation stated - so I'm not sure why he mentioned that. The did have a lot of large luggage - more than I would need for a long weekend - but that's really minor. Still, with all else going on I'm somewhat concerned. 

I left them and went about my business with the events weighing on my mind. I decided that I would waive the cancellation fee if they would leave without spending the night in order to keep my cleaning chores to a minimum. I contacted the daughter with this news. She came back stating that they really like my lovely home, the drive was no problem and they would stay. (If you happen to be a guest reading this, when a host offers you to waive the cancellation fee you should take the hint and cancel.) The son later texted me to apologize for his initial reaction. 

In the midst of the interaction at the check in I neglected to get the names of the parents. No one introduced them to me. (The very first words from the son were about the location, cancelling, etc. - not an introduction of himself and his parents.) So I have contacted the daughter to give me the names and some background on the parents (like where they live). She has not responded to my request, which I have sent twice now. I will go to the apartment when I have someone who can go with me and see if I can communicate with the parents to get their names and IDs. I should have done this sooner - obviously. 

I am still contemplating contacting ABB to discontinue the reservation. I think I am in my rights to do so but would appreciate any feedback. I feel like something weird is going on but don't quite know what it is. 

@Karen307  Here's my take (and other hosts might not agree) - let the parents stay.  They're obviously not dangerous or hostile.  Upsetting their accommodations after they've already stayed a night will send the whole family in a tizzy.  The good news for you, is if the daughter leaves a negative review, you can immediately get Airbnb to remove it because the daughter did not actually stay, therefore she is not allowed to review.  You get paid, the parents have a roof over their head, and there's no fear of a negative review.  You'll have learned your lesson about third-party reservations and everyone goes about their merry way.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Karen307

my advices to you and all hosts:

first - always listen to your gut feeling 🙂

second - always ask your guests to show you their photo ID and photograph it or have a printed form and fill it with their data: names, address, passport no, date and country of birth, gender etc... and make them sign it. Even if they have verified iD on Airbnb (what means absolutly nothing)

becaouse you didn't do first nor second it would be smart to go there and ask them to show you their photo ID so you can register them. If they don't want to do it you can terminate their stay with the help of ABB (you should contact them ) because it is third party booking

Emma94
Level 10
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Seriously this is your house. Own it and do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Forget about the review what you don't want to live with is regret that you didn't do it sooner. Next time cancel the reservation since the daughter tricked you into thinking it was for her. Kick them out and move on and you'll sleep better at night. Or let them stay and have restless nights.

I agree. It is your house.

We have had more than one group where one person makes the reservation. Then they say my friend will be there at check in and I will be along later. This makes me uncomfortable because I have no idea who these people are and the 'responsible party' is not there. In a couple of instances, we think the 'responsible party' never showed up at all. It is kind of a "switch-er-roo".

Since we do all of our check-ins in person we are now going to only be checking in the person who made the reservation. The rest of the 'guests' will just have to wait. We will be making this clear before check in to future guests so there are no misunderstandings. I think AirBnb should make it explicit on their website to 'guests' that they are in violation if they do this sort of thing.

I am not a fan of Instant Booking either. I think the hosts should have the say in who gets to stay at their house. After all, this is suppose to be more personal than booking at a hotel.