What makes Airbnb different?

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What makes Airbnb different?

What makes Airbnb different?.png

Hi all,

I came across this article the other day and I thought it would be interesting to share it with you! It discusses Airbnb's story and why it became a success when there were already home rental websites around before. 

One difference it highlights is that Airbnb has always had listings in cities, rather than just in traditional holiday locations like on other websites, making city-breaks more accessible. 

Another of her points is refers to Airbnb's design as being a factor that sets it apart from the other options.

Do you agree? What do you think makes Airbnb different? What made you decide to join Airbnb?

Although I'm not a host, this article definitely got me thinking about how Airbnb changed the way I travel - I'll always remember my first stay in a listing in Paris overlooking the Sacre Coeur, it made a welcome change from a hostel!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Kirstie

7 Replies 7
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Interesting article, it's good to remind founders why Airbnb become so popular. 

We joined Airbnb and Booking.com the same day, 7 months ago. We liked ABB more because:

1. - payout is the next day when the guest check in,  
  2. - I could write my own text , 
  3. - It has Community center and helpfull hosts
  4. - It has better looking website 
  5. - Service fee is lower and I always know how much I will get
  6. - Hosts are protected by Host insurance + host guarantee
  7. - I didn't have to use instant book 
  8. - Airbnb guests were more communicative and leaving better reviews

In the meantime many good things are changed ....

1.  ABB website is constantly changing and has a lot of bugs
  2. Host insurance/guarantee/deposit doesn't exist in practice
  3. Abb care more for the worst guest than for a superhost
  4. Instant book is now almost a must-have
  5. Guests are now stimulated to leave bad reviews

THE FUNNIEST THING (or saddest) is that we are getting warned if our rating goes bellow 4,5 ...... but, when I search the internet for Airbnb customer reviews - guess what? Airbnb is rated with 1 (one star) !!! Who is bad now Airbnb ? 🙂

Like the Boss said: Glory days well they'll pass you by ....Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye ....Glory days, glory days... ♫ ♪ ♫

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Kirstie "Although I'm not a host..."

i suspect that that the host experience would improve vastly if more ABB staff actually understood all that goes into hosting. Alternatively, I have seen hosts acting as defacto customer service for other hosts. Perhaps hiring out call center jobs to some well-qualified hosts would improve conditions as well. 

Ally6
Level 2
South Yarra, Australia

I hosted for three months now for the first time and I am not going to do it again. Most guests were lovely of course with no issues whatsoever. Just questions. But some were awful! One tried to get three nights for the price of two from me because his flight was such that it was only two nights. As if my cleaner can come any hours of the day and get everything prepped for the next guest in 5 minutes. Not to mention I let him to check in at 8am and he wanted to check out at 10pm. He also sabotaged another long term booking for me, because when i blocked the dates upon enquiry from the long term one, the calendar didn't work properly and the instant booking from a nightmare guest ruined everything. So I ended up with an 8 day vacancy. But when I offered him to charge the third day at half price to cater for his late check out, he sent me a condescending message trying to make me feel guilty for his poor planning. I offered a 2-bedroom apartment for the whole new day for $50 basically. And then he left me a 2-star review!!! Because he didn't read the description and assumed that one of the beds would be slightly bigger and left a complete lie comment about the place being dirty! I personally checked it before check in and it was spotless. And he blocked my shower! Which I had to unblock when the next guest already checked in!! 

And I got a warning about my listing because of this one guest! When all my other reviews are great!

All this BS isn't worth the time. Some guests just want a service of a 5-star luxury commercial operator for the price of a hostel. And they forget they are dealing with private homeowners (economy of scales, duh?!). But the bugs are disappointing. 

The software bugs are disappointing too of course.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Looking from a UK perspective the package holiday and the like of Dan Air drove the two weeks in the sun, Benidorm etc in the 1960's, I came across Carry on Abroard on YouTube the other day which sort of covers it as only a Carry On film can do.

City Breaks, well they pre date AirBnB, I would put that down to the like of RyanAir and EasyJet, both enabled cheap flights and then added on booking accomodation through their web sites.

I remember working woth a French lady and getting her to call and make reservations in Paris, my French was always a bit rough, certainly was possible

David
Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you @Branka-and-Silvia0@Kelly149@Ally6 and @David126 for your contributions - it's interesting to hear your views!

You make a good point about EasyJet and RyanAir David - it's true that they made it much cheaper to go on city breaks.

In terms of accommodation though, do you think Airbnb made these breaks more affordable and more authentic than staying in a hotel?

Kirstie

I was always able to find reasonable accomodation, well except one night in Venice.

Probably what has changed is the volume, Barcelona for example was not a common destination for weekend breaks and the number of visitors could not be handled by the conventional industry.

David
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Kirstie  what makes Airbnb stand out from the competition is that the platform is broken and we can't rely on it.

I originally joined Airbnb on the recommendation of others and initially found it easy to use, good value (both as a host and guest), the platform worked well and we received a lot of bookings. That was in 2015. However I have blocked off the rest of 2017 and will stick exclusively to booking.com this year.

A few months back I had blocked off a range of dates on Airbnb where we had holidays, important family events or other reasons where I would not be able to host. There were probably about 30 individual dates and some weeks blocked off for 2017. It was purely by chance one day some time later that I went in to the calendar to check a date to find that every date for this year that had been blocked out had somehow now become available. I had to go through my paper diary date by date again to block them off and was seriously not happy to have to do this. If someone had booked and I had to cancel as a host Airbnb would have penalised ME despite the fact it is was their problem  - they would never have believed the dates had previously been blocked off because they always believe the guest over the host as has become increasingly evident over the last year.

A few days ago we blocked off more dates via the laptop which has usually been more reliable than doing things like this on the app. The dates had been checked to make sure they were blocked off. But no, I looked this morning on my smartphone and all of the dates were available again and showing up in searches, even on the laptop where they were still showing as blocked off. How on earth can that happen? I had to block them off again, this time on the smartphone and it seemed to work and they didn't appear in searches on the laptop either. But I can't trust that if I go into the calendar next week the blocked off dates will still be blocked off.

For something like that to happen once is annoying. For it to happen twice is unacceptable.

But we shouldn't have to go through this grief. The only thing that Airbnb really owns is its platform. According to various online sources Airbnb pays its CTO at least $250k a year. I would argue that is money really badly spent because the platform s/he is responsible for is utterly unreliable. Surely the one thing Airbnb hosts and guests should be able to rely on is a reliable and consistent technology. But we can't as so many posts in the Community forum show. Airbnb constantly tinkers with the platform and everything appears to always be in beta, or only available to some hosts not to others as features are not introduced consistently to all hosts at the same time. That's fine in some circumstances but we don't seem to go a week without something changing and usually not for the better. And when we can't rely on the one major thing that a booking platform has, i.e the calendar, then it's just not worth the hassle and it's time to look elsewhere.

Basically all Airbnb is is a big database. With a database the data is the same whether it is presented on a laptop or via an app. Except on Airbnb where that isn't the case. Either the database is badly programmed and scaled or there is a second database system (or multiple database systems) handling app access and the synchronisation between them all just doesn't work.

Last year I contributed a great deal on the community forum but will take a break for the rest of this year and concentrate on the high number of bookings we are getting via booking.com even though it costs more. We know their platform works, they only introduce new features once they have been thoroughly tested and we don't have to put up with rubbish like blocked dates being made mysteriously available again.