Why the maximum number of guests on Airbnb is 16?

Bruno161
Level 2
São Paulo, Brazil

Why the maximum number of guests on Airbnb is 16?

Why the maximum number of guests on Airbnb is 16? I have a House that hosts up to 30 guests and would like to set as well on the site.

19 Replies 19
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Eric492  Can you say Property Managers? The Cabin Pros, Vacasa, and Evolve they also have a Sirict 30 day cancellation policy on them all. 

Cristian213
Level 2
Oarja, Romania

I agree this can be very frustrating for hosts able to take in more than 16. Did some research on and couldn’t find any logical explanation on this “max 16 guests only” rule. I can accommodate 26 and just missed having a New Year Eve group because of this silly limit. Those inquiring were groups of up to 16 and obviously not happy to pay for all beds although  they wanted the whole place just for themselves but pay just for max 16. On the other hand those groups of up to 26 won’t consider me(they’ll probably use other platform) thinking I can only take groups of up to 16 only. Very disappointed with this.....

Leah208
Level 1
Whitmore Lake, MI

It is frustrating, and I appreciate everyone's response here. I added "Sleeps 20" in the title, and most of my guests are asking for more than 16 when they send me their request. I override the AirBnB rate with Special Offer and that works well. I havent had anyone upset about the change....yet!

I don't recall seeing this until this summer. Is there a reason AirBnB only lists up to 16 & for larger homes just states 16+? Don't understand how that's a good thing when guests are looking for, say a home that sleeps higher numbers. This is a problem in two situations...

If a guest sees a house (max occupancy: 16) that only sleeps 16, but it shows 16+ - how do they know they cannot have more than 16 when it's listed as 16+?

If a guest needs to accommodate 22, how do they know that this house (max occupancy: 22) will in fact work for them?  

Omjar0
Level 2
Dixon, CA

airbnb got to fix the problem of max guests by extending beyond 16