Worried about review if I make a claim for security deposit

Meghana0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Worried about review if I make a claim for security deposit

I recently had three male guests who were just professionals working in the city. They were just doing accomodation hopping instead of renting a place. The problem is that they left my place totally unclean - soiled toilet, unwashed utensils from breakfast, half filled wine glasses from prior night and garbage in the bin without even using the garbage bags provided. The checkout instructions were clearly mentioned including where to leave all the garbage for the building. Instead one week's garbage was left in some Tesco bags in the terrace and kitchen. The sofa bed was open with strewn beddings, the bedroom was just ok, the place was not even vacuumed or dusted sicne a week and few items like iron board were lying in living room. It was not a good experience doing extra cleaning up for all this. I would like to make a claim from the deposit.

The process says that the claim needs to be made within 14 days.  The timeline for review is also 14 days. Can anyone advise whether the claim and review are sent at the same time to the guest or not? If I make a claim now and it reaches them, they will be tempted to ruin my review which is also due in 14 days. They will know that I have mentioned the above in my review and hence would possibly change their review to protect themselves. I dont want an adverse review to be published for no fault of mine.

5 Replies 5
Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

This is not s situation that should involve a security deposit. It doesn't sound like anything was damaged.

You rented to slobs. It happens to all of us.

Meghana0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Thanks. I didnot realsie that the cost for extra cleaning is not covered in security deposit. And thanks for "It happens to all of us". Atleast it makes me understand what it invovles when I rent it out in future.

Babs0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Agree with @Dawn33, security deposit is for damage and not for extra cleaning. It's sometimes frustrating that guests leave the pace a mess, but take a deep breath and don't let it get you down! Some people are just not into cleaning up after themselves 😉

Might want to consider adding a cleaning fee to your pricing. And maybe also for longer bookings (like after 4 nights) say that you will come for a hover/mop/clean, so you will also have an opportunity to check out the place and see if the guests need a reminder about your house rules or general standards of cleanliness. It will save you some time when you do it like that instead of having to do a big clean after a whole week of hosting slobs! People on holiday/city break just don't want to be bothered with cleaning 😞

Happy hosting!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Meghana0  I agree with @Babs0 and @Dawn33 that messy does not mean you have a claim on the security deposit.  However, it is important that you provide a realistic professional review that essentially warns other hosts.  

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I agree with those saying you happened to have guests who were messier than normal. It you should really be averaging out your cleaning fee so that it covers everything from those who leave it spotless to those who don't.  (Did you really expect them to vacuum!)