damages

damages

48 hours is not enough time to report damages.  I find that guest hide things from me.  One took out a wall panel and used caulk after breaking the tub faucet.  Another bent a kitchen cupboard door.  Another pulled a towel rack out of the wall.  Another ripped out a screen.  Another left the shower curtain open and water came down slowly to the downstairs ceiling.  Another must have moved my Stickley dining room table out into the yard and the legs all had water damage.  My point is that people hide damages and I cannot possibly find them all in 48 hours, especially if I am traveling myself and may not return immediately.  Even my property manager and cleaner are not finding these things.  I find them after living in the house for a while.

6 Replies 6
Michael477
Level 10
Cholula, Mexico

Hi @Amy65:

Unfortunately those things happpen.

Same happens in hotels.

And if 24 hours later you will have a new guest.....who will you charge to?

IMHO these things are bad and we need to report them to AirBnB, consider them in the guest evaluation ( there you have 2 weeks time) , but a compensation will not always be possible. We need to consider that in the rent!

Regards

Michael

PD.: I had already the other way around: People leaving hats, headphones etc.... and after asking them, they just donated those things 😉

Saludos
Michael
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Amy65  What a lovely entire home listing you have!  Accommodating 16 guests, I would imagine that the home gets a lot of wear and tear.  I think your price is quite reasonable for such a lovely and large home, but obviously you know your market.  It is my understanding  there is more time to make a claim in the Resolution Center.  Please review this article:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

I think the biggest factor for you will be to prove that it is not normal wear and tear.  That is a big reason that some damage is not covered.

Chris173
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Hi,

It sounds like the new rules coming in from Airbnb require me to cover my own insurance. I already have my own contents insurance of course, but I find Airbnb is very reluctant to take my side over guest's versions of damage, even when I have phtos to prove the damage.

Under the new rules, can I take a pre-authorisation on a guest credit card as a security bond, the same as I do for all other guests from all other sites?

Cheers,
Chris

@Chris173  Yes you can require a security deposit.  Please go to the Help Center and familiarize yourself with the security deposit process.

Hi Linda,

I'm familiar with adding a security deposit via Airbnb, but I am referring to collecting the guest credit card details myself and doing a pre-authisation (or swipe of their card if you like) when they arrive. I don't deduct money; it is just set aside by the bank in case I need to draw on it if damage occurs.

Even with security deposit added to my booking, Airbnb is often reluctant to use it when I claim damages. Hope that makes sense.

BTW, what does Level 2 or Level 10 after our names refer to?

Thanks

Mark452
Level 1
Portland, OR

I just found an attempt to repair wall damage. I was gone on vacation and my cleaner didn't notice it. It could have been one of 2 or 3 guests. I suppose I have no recourse. Pretty disappointing after everything was going so smooth the first year!