guest left without paying

guest left without paying

I had an agreement with one of the guests to pay cash for the parking spot. Then he left the appartement very early in the morning, without paying the parking fees. Is anything could be done? 

8 Replies 8
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Alex617 based on what I know, Airbnb is not responsible/can not help with any payment or transaction outside of the Airbnb system. You can try to reach out to your guest and ask for the payment. Moving forward, I suggest not to have the transaction outside of the system. You can always use the send/request money feature within the Airbnb system. In general, I will require the payment upfront before the guest uses the service.

I have not ask payment outside airbnb system, airbnb inform me that the guest it not paying, guest left the apartment like a thieve in the night and infoming by a what's app text that he left and I can found the key in the apartment, which i did not found, I paid the owner in full and now he is asking a refund 

what do you do to this case

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Alex

I don’t know if your extra car parking fees are clearly stated under your listing under amenities or under a photo of your listing if the car parking space  in question?

If this is not listed as a payable amenity locally then you are in a sticky wicket.

I had the price of the use of my laundry facilities clearly listed.

Guests refused to pay.

I politely gave guests opportunity to pay by emailing them on the air bnb portal, to remind them of the forgotten payment.

After receiving an email from them declining to pay. I wasted no time in contacting air bnb by phone saying I requested payment.

Air bnb communicated directly with this guest who still refused to pay so Air bnb paid me directly from their own funds.

My advice IS from this experience in September.

If you want payment for an extra service/ amenity you as host must clearly list it and it’s orice on your property description and also under the amenities section.

Facts,facts ,facts, win every time, not opinion.

Daniel1992
Level 10
Downingtown, PA

Never accept cash as payment.  Put it in your rules that you'll be asking for the parking payment ahead of arrival.  If they don't pay up, you can cancel the reservation.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

I accept cash for use of my amenities, by giving a full written receipt  to the guests.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As you know, Airbnb can kick of the platform for doing this @Victoria0

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Helen0

I’ve just noticed this advice now, from you regards this thanks and much appreciated.

I was unaware that I could be violating the air bnb Ts and Cs ,so I’ve now emailed, to ask for advice from air bnb clarifying, if this is correct.

The reason I’m asking for confirmation from them, about this, is because I offer the paid use of my washing machine and drier, clearly stated as a price, payable locally.

I do instant book for 1 night  stays minimum and 3 nights maximum only and I have really no idea, in advance if the guest wants to use the facility or not,until they arrive.

I give the guest a proper written receipt for this service used,  and that the guests paid me £10 cash, received with thanks as proof of payment from a receipt book I bought from an office supplies shop.

I keep the carbon copy in the receipt book and this goes to the accountant for submitting to HMRC.

I await air bnb response to this, and act accordingly next season.

Thanks for letting me know Helen and I await air bnb response

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Victoria567  You can not collect payments in cash on AirBnB with the exception of taxes. As @Helen3 states you can be removed from the platform for this practice. Everything must go through the Request for Money/Resolution Center option with the exception of taxes and they will not help with collecting them if the guest does not pay them to you in cash.

What are my options to collect and pay occupancy tax?

As an Airbnb host, if you determine that you need to collect occupancy tax, you can collect Occupancy Taxes by asking your guests to pay it in person or through the Resolution Center after they check in. In each case, it's important that guests are informed of the exact tax amount prior to booking. If you choose to collect Occupancy Taxes in person, please note that it should be collected only upon arrival and that we’re unable to assist with collection.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/654/what-is-occupancy-tax--do-i-need-to-collect-or-pay-it