how long does it take to get a refund to a guest?

Anne272
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

how long does it take to get a refund to a guest?

I had to cancel a guest's reservation (my fault) and she is waiting for her refund so that she can rebook.  How long does this take?  It says it has been refunded on my hosting page, but she hasn't received it yet.  Thanks!

29 Replies 29

If the host side to cancel the reservation in the cause, it will be automatically refunded. In the provisions of the site has become a less than 48 hours.

Thanks so much.  And if it isn't refunded, how do I follow up.  Do you know.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Anne272, just keep in mind that now that you have done your bit - accepted responsibility, issued the refund - the guest needs take it up with AirBnB herself if there are delays. Do not feel responsible to follow up yourself. Not being harsh. It is just that it is not really even possible. She is the only one authorized to call about her account. 

Okay.  Thanks!  Great to know. 

There is no published time line, I have seen a few people post who have been waiting a week or more but that may well be exceptional.

David

My booking was canceled by the host 2.5 weeks ago and I am still waiting. Does anyone know how I can contact Airbnb? It seems that there is no 1-1 online help here and this is such disappointing.

You are lucky, Jeong Eun. I understand it is an Auckland number you call for Airbnb NZ, so that means it will not be long distance for you: +64 4 4880 888. 

It comes up in a google search, or by searching this forum. 

You can also try tweeting AirbnbHelp on Twitter.

Thanks, Lawrene!

This definately helps. I will contact them.

Contacting them on Twitter was helpful. It is resolved.

Sam339
Level 1
Ljungby, Sweden

Funny how a 50 billion dollar company does not have customer service to solve all these matters, and after making this money I bet they careless, about solving any issues..they are just like most giant companies start with word sharing, then move into greed just like paypal or any greedy company, they make you never wana buy their service and start using the standard one. Today the host didnt want to host, I cancelled, now myt money is stuck how can I book again?

@Sam339  If the host requested the cancellation, the host should be doing the cancellation, not the guest. Some hosts try to get the guest to do it, because otherwise the host receives penalties. In the future, do not cancel if the host asks you to. If the host insists that you do it, contact airbnb to report them and resolve the issue.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Back in November 2017, one of my guests was double charged for my room. Airbnb admitted it was a tech glitch on their end, and told the guest that her $ would be refunded within 15 days.

This is absurd, considering it was airbnb's error, not a matter of a host or guest cancelling. There is no reason why airbnb could not have made an immediate credit back to her credit card. They just hang onto everyone's $ as long as possible to collect the interest on it in their bank account.

Hanna77
Level 2
Illinois, United States

Unbelievable.
Nat47
Level 1
Shipley, United Kingdom

We got told when this happened to us recently that the refund is done automatically on their end it's the banks that can take up to 15 working days althought usually it's in 3 to 5. It's basically messed up our trip that we're going on tomorrow for mine and my sister's birthdays and I'm desperately trying to find a way to borrow the money we're now short of until the refund comes through. We've specificially saved up for this trip as we're on low incomes due to my disability.