Automatic GST collection by Airbnb and reporting to CRA

Biren5
Level 2
New Delhi, India

Automatic GST collection by Airbnb and reporting to CRA

Hi, I have a property in Ontario, Canada. From what i know - From July1,2022 onwards, Hosts/Airbnb need to collect GST & report to CRA accordingly. Now i have not registered as a business & i would like Airbnb to automatically collect GST on my behalf. But I see airbnb is not collecting GST for reservations beyond July 1st. Do i need to ask them specifically to do it? I tried calling the support but of no help. Can someone already doing this pls help.

1 Reply 1
Laura5572
Level 2
The Blue Mountains, Canada

If you have taxable sales of more than $30,000 you should already had a GST registrant number, been collection and remitting GST/HST in Ontario, to the Ontario government. If you make less than $30K this was not required and you did not need to charge your guests. However as of July 1 2022 Airbnb is charging HST on all rentals in Ontario, even for those host who do not meet the $30,000 threshold. This is WRONG but CS Ambassors do not understand the Tax laws and only read a script. I believe you need to make a written complaint once you understand your personal tax obligations ie call the government then contact Airbnb.