Host wants me to cancel my trip

Marin5
Level 1
Zagreb, Croatia

Host wants me to cancel my trip

Hello, 

I booked trip to France 2 days ago
Apartment had an instant book option so I picked my dates and my credit card was charged. 
Host started conversation with me and everything was fine. 

But, today he sent me message and said that he can't host because his family comes on weekend I booked. 

He asked me to cancel my reservation and said that he can refund service fee. 

I haven't been in this situation yet, but I think he has to cancel that reservation?!
I'm not the one who wants to cancel trip. 

What is the best (safest, easiest) way for me to get my money back? 

Thank you! 
Best regards, 
Marin 

92 Replies 92
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Correct - he needs to cancel the reservation - he is trying to avoid liablity for fees for cancelling your reservation.

Thank you! 

Will I be automaticly refunded after host cancels my reservation? 

Best regards, 
Marin 

Ana-and-David0
Level 7
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hi Marin, read what kind of cancellation policy he has, you didn’t tell us when your trip is, but I assume this is more than a week in advance. This is the link that explains the cancellations www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies

First let me tell you that I am so glad Airbnb changed its policy and now punish the hosts that wish to cancel. I got 9 cancelation by hosts last year during my vacation and it’s a horrible situation to be in, especially when you are already traveling and have to spend your vacation “fun and relaxing” time, looking for a new place, at a more expensive rate in areas that are not your first choice.

I think he is asking you to cancel since he will have pay a fine for canceling your booking, and lose his super host status, if he has one.  I would advise you to have a second option in place, in case he decides to face the consequences of canceling himself. This link explains how host cancelations work:

www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/how-do-host-cancellation-penalties-work

If you agree to cancel yourself (even though you are not required to do so) the fees won’t be refunded to you, that’s why he is offering to pay for those. Something important to keep in mind is whether you book an entire place or a private room, you don’t want to be in a place where you are not welcome, even thought is not your fault. Also look if there are other places that fit your desired location are in the same price range, before making a decision. 

Sandy56
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I've just had the same experience. Host advising that due to family circumstances they can no longer host and placed the onus on me to cancel. I have advised them that they must cancel as per house rules so as we don't get charged.

I too am glad that AirBnb has changed the way this works so that I don't get the charges that aren't my responsibility or a bad rep.

I had two bookings for th same weekend cancelled - the most recent 4 days before family wedding I’m attending.  When the first host cancelled I spent hours on the phone - was told that the cancellation had something to do with my account - that I had 2 accounts.  Wasn’t true - host had family emergency.  That was resolved & I booked another property only to get cancelled again.  Air Bnb rep assigned me a case manager but it’s been 24 hours and I havent heard from him/her.  2 in a row???.  I think Airbnb should step up to plate and do all the work of finding me something comparable and give me a discount.  Very stressful.  All they did was post a list of other options - most $200 more per night than my original.  Be prepared to scramble when you use Airbnb.  Can really mess with relaxing vacation plans.

Camus0
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

My host https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/11569669 is also telling me to cancel because "cancelling doesn't work on her end." While I pushed back on canceling, this puts me at an odd position when making a future reservation on the same date, until she cancels. There is alway the possibility that she won't end up canceling so I am hesitant to book another place until she finalizes things on her end... I wish airbnb had some way of disputing this, but all I see are automated help-center responses.

call them

Canada: +1-855-424-7262 / 1-855-4-AIRBNB (toll-free)

Did you manage to contact airbnb about this? 

My host https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10738319 insists that I have to cancel the reservation and that I will get a full refund. After showing print screens with the refund that I will get (it had strict cancellation) he still tries to convince me that I will get a full refund. It seems more like he is trying to scam me.

After telling him that I can choose "My host needs to cancel" option, he said that he will not accept because he will get a penalty of 100 euro. 

So now I am stuck in the same situation as you.

Did you solve it? Were you able to contact airbnb and talk with someone?

Thanks.

Later edit:

It seems like there is a problem with the cancellatin policy. The booking has a flexible cancellation policy with full refund, but if I try to cancel the reservations it has strict cancellation policy. So the host did not try to fool me at all.

Pruthvi0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Yeah this is ridiculous, I have just tried calling their UK number but all it is is automated responses. Absolutely no customer service! 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Pruthvi0,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble reaching the Support Team from London. It may have been a particularly busy time when you called, have you managed to get through to them yet?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Kaminee0
Level 1
Richmond, United Kingdom

I there I am having the same challenge - my host is saying she can no longer host me but says I should follow up with Airbnb for the refund. Have gone round and round on the help centre but do not understand how to get this without host cooperation.

please can you help me

Kaminee

You must make sure that the host cancels in order to receive a full refund. Do not cancel the reservation yourself. 

@Kaminee0 If your host has informed you that they no longer can honor your confirmed reservation, you may formally ask them to cancel through Airbnb.  Follow the instructions in this link: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1250/what-should-i-do-if-my-host-needs-to-cancel

This method will require that the host either confirm that they will honor your reservation or cancel it. You should not cancel if it is the host who wants to cancel. 

I hope this helps!

Clare

Rebeca78
Level 2
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Many thanks @Clare0 very helpful, this it is exactly what we needed