Penalized in the search when having 2 or more listings?

Penalized in the search when having 2 or more listings?

We have always ranked in the top 5 search results (usually top 2) when listings are shown for our town. We opened a second unit at the same location. Airbnb pushed the new unit into the top result. However, our original listing not only got pushed out of the first page, a bunch of Airbnbs from outside the search area get included before us! Basically it's invisible to someone searching our town. So I snoozed the new listing and we are back in the top 5 results. It seems to be a penalty for having 2 Airbnbs in the same town.

Has anyone experienced this and know what to do to get both listings to show?

5 Replies 5
Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Guys from my search there are 3 possibilities,

I tried 'to book' 3-10 December  and it shows:

* Tyrone, Ga > 1,000 results

* Tyrone Galloway 45 Results

* Tyrone, N. Ireland 75 results

You are in 1st one [Atalanta] and

It seems to be a penalty for having 2 Airbnbs in the same town. [OP] 

No, but usually Airbnb algo 'gives a little priority/ boost' to new listing for a little while

Once I was told by some very experiences on 'these things' if you want to look for your LISTING 'log out, delete cookies etc' and it makes sense, maybe best idea would be to do a search from someone else's device/ IP address and then see what is going on.

also,and here i'm not sure, I know that one can do multiple listing for same PROPERTY [say a flat and a room] since you have UNITS at same location, is this possible? Then you keep ranking for both...

Thank you. I did log out and then searched that way. I still find the same issue. I still can't understand how my search results include places 40 minutes away before showing places in the center of my search query. All this changed when Airbnb introduced their changes 2+ weeks ago.

D & C you are welcomed, I bring a link here so if you want you can explore this possibility [of 3 listings] similar to my suggestion to Bart. [algos will favours you this way more] 

If it suits you and you will try it,

instead of 3 & 6, try 6 & 12 months.

This

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Manage-your-listing/Merge-locations/m-p/1720050#M18059

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Dave-and-Connie1 

That's weird. Yes, Airbnb prioritises new listings initially, but that doesn't explain why your other listings should be pushed down under ones that are in other locations. Still, there have been a lot of weird things going on with the search algorithms since the Summer Release and it would not surprise me if the Winter Release is causing further problems.

I have noticed that, since the Summer Release, my listings (I have three) really vary in their position in the searches. At any one time, the algorithm seems to prioritise one above the other two and there is normally no logical reason. If it was to do with availability, that would make sense, but it will shove the listing with the earliest/most availability way lower than the others. If it was to do with popularity, that would also make sense, but the room that got the most views by far pre Summer Release has had the lowest views since. Sometimes it still doesn't show up even if I zoom in and click  directly on my house on the map. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it.

In some ways what you've written is encouraging . . . because it shows it's not just me and what I've done, but has to do with the reworked algorithm. Like you, we have a unit that is very popular (thus was usually listed as the first result, but sometimes as low as 3rd or 4th place) and now is moved way down the list.
Again, I wouldn't mind being moved down a bit to make way for the new listing, but just gets me that places not as good and much further way rank higher simply because I've added a listing. Thank you for taking the time to reply.