Tips for a NEW HOST

Answered!
A-J762
Level 1
Oakville, Canada

Tips for a NEW HOST

Hello Seasoned Hosts, I am a NEW HOST with 2 properties Oakville and would love any advice I can get. Seems quite slow for me thus far 

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@A-J762 

Your listing looks decent enough and you offer a lot of amenities, but I feel that your photos do not live up to the description. It doesn't scream luxury to me, even though it may well be. Here are a few suggestions:

- Agreed with @Lawrene0  that the home wrap is a bit off putting.

- Most of your photos are in a square format. This does not sit well with Airbnb's layout as they will end up being cropped in a way that is out of your control. Landscape (horizontal) is always better. You can use other formats for detail shots, but try not to include these in the first few photos, which are the ones that show on the listing home page. Landscape anyway is better for showing the proportions of a room.

- I would reconsider the leading photo, which is what will appear in the search results. It doesn't tele much about the property itself.

- Make sure the first few photos (the ones that appear on the landing page) are the best and show different areas. At the moment, you have two showing the kitchen.

- If possible, take photos using natural light. At the moment, they look a bit dim, which doesn't show off the property to its best advantage.

- You mention the local area/neighbourhood as a real selling point, so maybe include some photos of it.

- Although you advertise this as a luxury property, you are squeezing four guests into a one bedroom apartment, with sofas/mattress in the living room to sleep on. That is not really luxury. Decide who your market is and whether it is better to advertise to less guests, who pay more per person, if luxury is truly what you are offering.

- I haven't checked out your prices yet, but perhaps they could be part of the problem. Have you checked out the pricing of your local competitors that are offering similar accommodations? I would never advise anyone to price very low, but remember that if you are competing with established hosts with a track record and great reviews/ratings, you might have to price a little bit lower than them until you have a few reviews under your belt. 

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

The HomeWrap on the wall shown in the photos might be part of the problem, @A-J762 . It is good to be completely honest with photos, good that there will be no surprise in that regard, but I wonder if it might be better to wait until that's taken care of before you start hosting?

Thank You Lawrence! Appreciate your advice and shall follow. 

Actually I have a 2nd Property where the response is absolutely ZERO but is only 4 Mins from this Property 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @A-J762 ,

Welcome to the Community Center! Congratulations on starting your Hosting journey. 🌻 I guess our experienced members like @Huma0 @Sudsrung0 @Mike-And-Jane0 would be able to help you with their suggestions if possible!! 

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank You Bhumika 🙂 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@A-J762 

Your listing looks decent enough and you offer a lot of amenities, but I feel that your photos do not live up to the description. It doesn't scream luxury to me, even though it may well be. Here are a few suggestions:

- Agreed with @Lawrene0  that the home wrap is a bit off putting.

- Most of your photos are in a square format. This does not sit well with Airbnb's layout as they will end up being cropped in a way that is out of your control. Landscape (horizontal) is always better. You can use other formats for detail shots, but try not to include these in the first few photos, which are the ones that show on the listing home page. Landscape anyway is better for showing the proportions of a room.

- I would reconsider the leading photo, which is what will appear in the search results. It doesn't tele much about the property itself.

- Make sure the first few photos (the ones that appear on the landing page) are the best and show different areas. At the moment, you have two showing the kitchen.

- If possible, take photos using natural light. At the moment, they look a bit dim, which doesn't show off the property to its best advantage.

- You mention the local area/neighbourhood as a real selling point, so maybe include some photos of it.

- Although you advertise this as a luxury property, you are squeezing four guests into a one bedroom apartment, with sofas/mattress in the living room to sleep on. That is not really luxury. Decide who your market is and whether it is better to advertise to less guests, who pay more per person, if luxury is truly what you are offering.

- I haven't checked out your prices yet, but perhaps they could be part of the problem. Have you checked out the pricing of your local competitors that are offering similar accommodations? I would never advise anyone to price very low, but remember that if you are competing with established hosts with a track record and great reviews/ratings, you might have to price a little bit lower than them until you have a few reviews under your belt. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thank you @Huma0 for responding to this! 🙌

Bhumika

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank You HUMA0 as your advice is amazing and I will try and follow everything:) GOD BLESS 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@A-J762 

Dont just rely on airbnb to get you bookings 

What are the other options pls 

@A-J762 

I sent you a message