Transfer a reservation from one guest to another?

Maureen7
Level 1
Palo Alto, CA

Transfer a reservation from one guest to another?

I have a guest who cannot make his trip after all, but he has a friend who wants to take over the reservation. He was hoping that he could avoid the cancelation fee and use the other guest's credit card for payment. Is there any way to do that?

10 Replies 10
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Maureen7,

First of all, the person cannot take over the reservation because Airbnb does not allow third party bookings so the new replacement guest would need to book on their own account.  With that said, I would contact Airbnb and they may possibly allow the replacement guest to book on their own account and refund the original guest their reservation.

Here is how you can contact Airbnb: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-How-To-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thanks, Dave, I did contact Airbnb, and they said what you said about the third party issues. They did not say, however, that they would consider refunding their fees to my guest (unless his cancellation fell under their acceptable exceptions for cancelling). Nevertheless, I encouraged my guest to appeal to them, and meanwhile his friend has re-booked independently with me.

Hi @Maureen7,

I did say "they may" as it often depends on who you get as a CX agent and since they are still getting the full Airbnb service fee, they "may" let her off.  It is really like throwing a dart at a moving target.

I am glad everything worked out for you.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Maureen7 Hmmm.  I'm not sure I would accept that.  How do you know who the second person is?  Also, if there is any kind of issue with the reservation i.e. damages, etc. how would you collect from the person who made the reservation but wasn't there?  Nope, I wouldn't do it since you would loose all Airbnb protections. 

@Clare0,

This message self-destructed!  Poof!

caution.jpg

David

@Dave-and-Deb0 It probably is legit since it ends with @airbnb.com.   But since the content seems to be weird I advised caution to the poster. See my reply. 

Zakro0
Level 1
Tbilisi, Georgia

hello everyboy.. host cancealed my reservation and i want Transfer my payment to a new Airbnb reservation....airbnb is saying in rules that If you choose this option, the money you paid towards your initial reservation is immediately available to use towards a new reservation. Once you've found a new place, we'll automatically transfer your original payment to your new reservation request, along with any eligible credit from Airbnb. but can u please explain how to make it???

@Zakro0 All you need to do is make a reservation and your host cancellation credit will automatically apply if the cost of the new reservation is more than the one that was cancelled.  The credit does not show in Travel Credits nor is it a Coupon.  The additional credit is available up to 30 days.  

See this link for more information: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/950/i-received-an-additional-credit-after-my-host-canceled--how-...

thank u so much but i found out that   In the event that your reservation is more than 4 weeks away, your payment will be automatically refunded so u cant do imadiate rebooking..so i have to wait for refuned and make a new resertavion. i think so

I have made a payment and reserved a private room on behalf of my wife. Then I received a confirmation and booking details of the place. However my concern is these details can only be accessed by myself, unfortunately the traveler my wife can not get access to some of the links such direction to map. And can not access to some of the information. So I wanted to know is there are any possibility of transferring the responsibility of the trip to my wife with full access all the detail