This is the text of the email message that I received from AirBnB on 1/9/2023 regarding the 1099-K Tax forms for the United States - See the next to last paragraph!
[Hi MY NAME]
If you have met the US tax reporting requirements for calendar year 2022, you should expect your tax form in the mail and/or available for download by the following dates:
• Form 1099 delivered/available for download on or before January 31, 2023
• Form 1042-S delivered/available for download on or before March 15, 2023
• You are a US citizen or US tax resident and you meet one of the following:
o You have exceeded $20,000 in gross transactions AND 200 reservations in the calendar year 2022*,
o You had US taxes withheld from your payments, or
o Your resident state has a lower reporting threshold.
1099-MISC or 1099-NEC Eligibility
• You are a US citizen or US tax resident receiving at least $600 in other reportable income from Airbnb. Generally, this form will report any promotional payments, bonuses, awards, and miscellaneous payments which are considered reportable income and not included on Form 1099-K.
• You are not a US citizen or US tax resident and you received income from US listings or experiences.
Another email notification will be sent in the coming weeks notifying you when your tax form(s) can be electronically downloaded.
For all other Hosts, please refer to your Airbnb Earnings Summary to help you prepare your taxes. The Earnings Summary will be made available in your Airbnb account on or before January 31, 2023. You can also use your Completed Payouts tab located in your Transaction History which will provide all the details necessary to report your income.
*On December 23, 2022, the IRS announced a delay in reporting thresholds for third-party settlement organizations, such as Airbnb, set to take effect for the upcoming tax filing season. The result of the delay means that Airbnb will not be required to file 1099-K’s under the $600 threshold which was enacted as part of the American Rescue Plan of 2021. Accordingly, for the calendar year 2022, we will only issue 1099-K’s under the greater than $20,000 and 200 transactions threshold.
Wishing you a very Happy New Year,
888 Brannan St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA