1099-K for 2022

Answered!
AZ-Lazy0
Level 1
United States

1099-K for 2022

We want our 1099-K so can file taxes for 2022.  Understand for this year if more than $600 income will need this.  No email yet, no document in host area to download.  When can we expect?? Please Advise

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@AZ-Lazy0 

This is the text of the email message that I received from AirBnB on 1/9/2023 regarding the 1099-K Tax forms for the United States - See the next to last paragraph!

[Hi MY NAME]

If you have met the US tax reporting requirements for calendar year 2022, you should expect your tax form in the mail and/or available for download by the following dates:

• Form 1099 delivered/available for download on or before January 31, 2023
• Form 1042-S delivered/available for download on or before March 15, 2023

1099-K Eligibility
• You are a US citizen or US tax resident and you meet one of the following:
o You have exceeded $20,000 in gross transactions AND 200 reservations in the calendar year 2022*,
o You had US taxes withheld from your payments, or
o Your resident state has a lower reporting threshold.

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC Eligibility
• You are a US citizen or US tax resident receiving at least $600 in other reportable income from Airbnb. Generally, this form will report any promotional payments, bonuses, awards, and miscellaneous payments which are considered reportable income and not included on Form 1099-K.

1042-S Eligibility
• You are not a US citizen or US tax resident and you received income from US listings or experiences.

Another email notification will be sent in the coming weeks notifying you when your tax form(s) can be electronically downloaded.

For all other Hosts, please refer to your Airbnb Earnings Summary to help you prepare your taxes. The Earnings Summary will be made available in your Airbnb account on or before January 31, 2023. You can also use your Completed Payouts tab located in your Transaction History which will provide all the details necessary to report your income.

*On December 23, 2022, the IRS announced a delay in reporting thresholds for third-party settlement organizations, such as Airbnb, set to take effect for the upcoming tax filing season. The result of the delay means that Airbnb will not be required to file 1099-K’s under the $600 threshold which was enacted as part of the American Rescue Plan of 2021. Accordingly, for the calendar year 2022, we will only issue 1099-K’s under the greater than $20,000 and 200 transactions threshold.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year,
Airbnb

Airbnb, Inc.
888 Brannan St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@AZ-Lazy0 

This is the text of the email message that I received from AirBnB on 1/9/2023 regarding the 1099-K Tax forms for the United States - See the next to last paragraph!

[Hi MY NAME]

If you have met the US tax reporting requirements for calendar year 2022, you should expect your tax form in the mail and/or available for download by the following dates:

• Form 1099 delivered/available for download on or before January 31, 2023
• Form 1042-S delivered/available for download on or before March 15, 2023

1099-K Eligibility
• You are a US citizen or US tax resident and you meet one of the following:
o You have exceeded $20,000 in gross transactions AND 200 reservations in the calendar year 2022*,
o You had US taxes withheld from your payments, or
o Your resident state has a lower reporting threshold.

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC Eligibility
• You are a US citizen or US tax resident receiving at least $600 in other reportable income from Airbnb. Generally, this form will report any promotional payments, bonuses, awards, and miscellaneous payments which are considered reportable income and not included on Form 1099-K.

1042-S Eligibility
• You are not a US citizen or US tax resident and you received income from US listings or experiences.

Another email notification will be sent in the coming weeks notifying you when your tax form(s) can be electronically downloaded.

For all other Hosts, please refer to your Airbnb Earnings Summary to help you prepare your taxes. The Earnings Summary will be made available in your Airbnb account on or before January 31, 2023. You can also use your Completed Payouts tab located in your Transaction History which will provide all the details necessary to report your income.

*On December 23, 2022, the IRS announced a delay in reporting thresholds for third-party settlement organizations, such as Airbnb, set to take effect for the upcoming tax filing season. The result of the delay means that Airbnb will not be required to file 1099-K’s under the $600 threshold which was enacted as part of the American Rescue Plan of 2021. Accordingly, for the calendar year 2022, we will only issue 1099-K’s under the greater than $20,000 and 200 transactions threshold.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year,
Airbnb

Airbnb, Inc.
888 Brannan St.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA

Kathy1031
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

I received the same email regarding taxes, and it's 1/31/23 and there are still no tax forms available or an email from Airbnb. It's my 4th year renting and I do not remember this being an issue in past years.  This company is really going downhill and there is no support. 

@Kathy1031 did you read the email? I am wondering why you are still expecting a 1099.

Kathy1031
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

Yes, of course I read the email. Perhaps things are different in the UK, so your assumptions are incorrect. After a Google search I was able to find a link to the 1099 (that I receive every year). Why this form is hidden & owners are not sent this link is the bigger question. I hope my response helps others, as yours did not.

Mike2844
Level 1
Katy, TX

I have received nothing from Abnb nor Vrbo.  I believe (pure assumption) that the IRS changes that went into effect in early 2022 have created mass confusion on what forms to issue AND at what gross earnings to do so.  Not sure what to expect now from either company.

Patti120
Level 5
California, United States

We just received out 1099 in the mail and the earnings reported for rents are missing on the 1099 and we had six figure earnings. The 1099 is wrong (wrong last year too). Now I am on the fix it campaign once again. It's hard to understand how the Airbnb accounting department can get it so wrong two years in a row.