A Word of Caution

A Word of Caution

I had a long-term guest who seemed nice, but along the way, I discovered she was very hard on my items.  She broke 2 pictures that were hanging on the walls and not in her way.  I really have no idea how she managed that.  I only knew about one of them, because there was a crash and when I went to see, there was glass all over the floor and a broken frame.  The other pictures I did not discover until she left.  She had taken it off of the wall and placed it on the floor below where it should have hung, stating she hung something else there.  But when I went to pick it up, the frame was broken in several areas. 

That room has 2 Twin Bed, which can be pushed together to make a King, which I have found makes it more useful in this area.  I try to inspect the room while the guest is there prior to their leaving, which I did, but I failed to notice she had turned the quilt on the second bed over.  While cleaning the room and doing the laundry, I discovered the quilt turned to the wrong side and when I turned it over I could see why.  She completely ruined my quilt and never said a word.  I saw at one point she was using that second bed for storage of the numerous boxes and packages she had coming almost daily and frequently several a day.  I have no idea how she was able to get all of that into her room, but she did.  From now on, I am making it a rule to not set anything on the second bed without asking my permission.  I will then remove the quilt and cover the bed if necessary.  I now have to purchase 2 new quilts for that room. 

Look everything over carefully and be aware your guest may be trying to hide things that are broken in plain sight.  Another thing I learned was to not allow long-term guests to use my mailing address.  I had Fed-Ex and UPS coming almost daily to my door not to mention packages being delivered to my mail box.  It was not uncommon for Fed-Ex or UPS to show up after 7:00 P.M. any day of the week.   A lesson learned.  

Keep vigilant and stay safe.

Priscilla

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What a disappointing experience - it's horrible to. Find guests who lie to you and hide damage . 

I do hope you left an honest review to warn future hosts and claimed for the damaged items.

I think many experienced hosts would say never to let your guests use your place as a mailing address and to make sure you include a regular clean in your costs for longer term guests. 

Ian611
Level 4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

You could put a claim in for the damages.

If they were really expensive items, I might, but they are not.  It is easier just to move forward.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Priscilla150  In the future, you might want to tell guests that if there is something in the guest space they would prefer not to have there, like a picture on the wall, that they speak to you about it, not move or remove furnishings or artwork themselves.

And no need to make up the second bed if you only have one guest in the room. Just put a light, easily washable inexpensive cover over the mattress pad, so a guest can't dirty bedding on both beds.

Lessons learned.  I had already posted my review prior to finding this out.  Good idea about the beds.  I am also thinking about removing the comforter and  getting a nice laminated or panel sheet to put over the top of the bed for them to actually use that for something.    Still thinking. 🙂

I am going to ask the guest exactly that.  She didn't exactly remove the art work, more like knocked it off of the wall, which was hard to do considering it was behind a clothes rack.  Thanks for your ideas on the 2nd bed. 

@Priscilla150  Maybe she was moving the clothes rack around.