Guests stayed longer-term than expected - advice needed on ending the arrangement.

Mark4168
Level 2
Hopatcong, NJ

Guests stayed longer-term than expected - advice needed on ending the arrangement.

Hi All, I like the flexibility of hosting a extra bedroom in the house I live in. However, this has happened twice where a guest books and stays in the extra airbnb room that I have. After a few days, they ask me if they can rent it month to month. One guest stayed for a year while he was working and looking to buy a house which he never did. 

He finally got on my nerves and I had to ask him to move out. Fortunately he did.

Then about six months later I relisted the room on airbnb and had some good guests stay f

or a few days, no problem.

Then a guest asked if she could book the room for a month since she was relocating from Germany back to New Jersey.

Back and forth she did book the room for a month while she said she was looking for a job and an apartment.

After a month she asked if she could stay month to month. I was thinking she was only going to stay for a few months.

Now it has been six months and I would really like her to go so I can fix the room and other common areas up for the upcoming summer season.

These two guests asked to pay me directly not through airbnb, I don't know why but I let them. 

Any suggestions on what to do? This latest guest is an introvert and when I say Hi when she comes back in the evening, she gives me a strange look.

Mark

2 Replies 2
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Mark4168 

Has your situation changed since you posted this, or are you still looking into ending the arrangement?

Just so you know, I updated the post title a little just to clarify what you were looking for.

Feel free to come back and update us!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Jenny thanks for the response. Since I posted this I had a discussion with the room mate (not airbnb guest) that I wouldn't kick her out that she could stay a few more months. She pays me on time and keeps her part up and cleans up after herself in the kitchen, etc. We'll see how it goes but I really would like to do some painting of her room, etc. so that I can relist her bedroom on airbnb for the upcoming travel season.