AIRBNB unethically and returning funds to guests: tatamount to stealing from my hard work and payment of owning a home

Nancy-Louise0
Level 3
Rochester, NY

AIRBNB unethically and returning funds to guests: tatamount to stealing from my hard work and payment of owning a home

AIRBNB ethics need to be reassessed.  You are a website and should not be taking sides with guests who want to steal from hosts.  A guest came but she thought she was a host and tried making rules in my home.  Then AIRBNB decided to refund this:  $359.64 x 3 unused nights = $1078.92 USD
+ .50% x 4 stayed nights x $359.64 USD = $719.28 USD
+ $1078.92 USD + $719.28 USD = $1797.56 USD - $900 USD already refunded = $897.56 USD

Are you serious:  I lost 8 lbs getting my home ready during COVID and I was not sick.  AIRBNB has decided to give an unethical guest her money back after I slaved over opening the home for her and her family.  

How have other hosts dealt with AIRBNB refunds which is like stealing host funds after a guest has stayed days in my home.  

6 Replies 6
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nancy-Louise0 

What were the guests reasons for requesting a refund? It's difficult to comment without the full story.

The only times I had guests refunded for nights they stayed was due to Airbnb customer services errors during the beginning of the whole debacle of COVID-19 refunds back in March. They guests had not complained about anything nor requested to be refunded for nights they had stayed, but once Airbnb mistakenly refunded them for those nights, it was impossible to get the guests to pay it back. In each case, I spent one month constantly going back and forth with Airbnb. I was relentless. It was eventually sorted out, but I can't pretend it wasn't a headache.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Nancy-Louise0,

I looked at your listings, and the property type is incorrect for "Honeymoon/Anniversary Suite".  Currently, it's listed as an entire house, and it should be listed as an entire guest suite.  

Do you have your own website, or are your spaces listed on other platforms?

It is the entire house with out entire house priviledges.  They get privacy of my home.  In non-high season, this room rents for less for this reason.  In high season, it is not usually available.  Next time, please understand my reasoning/marketing before you may an assumption.  

@Nancy-Louise0,

Ok, cool.  Best of luck to you.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nancy-Louise0  Debra is correct- a bedroom in a home, with a $75 fee to use the kitchen is not an "Entire Home", no matter how you see it. It's misleading advertising.

And when you advertise an entire private home, it isn't okay to simply show up to do yard work or use the washing machine, even if it's on the lower level. That's not called privacy.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nancy-Louise0 I really feel you are doing honest hosts a disservice - The price shown in a search is nothing like the price guests will actually pay once you have added on the extras of heating, snow, kitchen etc. I dread to think what your rental agreement says.