Advice on Microwave Damage

Advice on Microwave Damage

Hello! We had a guest stay recently who caused damage to our microwave and we aren't sure if it is worth it to seek compensation. The guests set off the smoke alarm in the morning and texted to apologize and told me it was the Toaster, but then upon cleaning I discovered a scortch mark in the microwave and a hole burned through the inside of the microwave door. The hole doesn't go all the way through but is visible from the outside. The suite is brand new with all new appliances. I know that I can paint over the scortch mark with special paint but not sure if the hole in the door can be repaired and if it compromises the integrity of the microwave. I would prefer to replace it altogether to keep up the standard of the suite but I am sure the guest is going to fight it and I don't have any experience with aircover yet so not sure how Airbnb would resolve if they were involved. The replacement cost of this particular model is $100 CAD. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance! 

9 Replies 9
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Carmen-and-Mike0  Replace the microwave.  You can try to discuss the replacement with the guest, but the odds are that they will deny it and refuse to pay.  Unfortunately, this may be best chalked up to the cost of doing business and the expense can be charged off against your profit.  Not an acceptable solution when guests should be responsible for damages, but the best way to go when trying to grow your business.  Aircover will also probably refuse compensation without a battle.  You can review the guest as being careless with your property, misusing appliances and not recommended as a future guest. Short, to the point and not overly critical, but a warning to hosts.

Thank you @Lorna170 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

If the microwave is brand new, be sure to check with the company that made the microwave, and the store from which you bought it. You may have a warranty, or may have purchased some kind of protection plan when you bought all your appliances.

I was pleased to find out that I had such coverage when a guest broke the top panel of my microwave, where the filter is. A repair person came out and replaced it for no charge.

I also have had dishwasher parts repaired twice when guests have stuffed too many dishes in it and broke the rack’s side slider. Again, no charge.

I normally don’t buy any kind of extra warranty or protection plans for new appliances, since hardly anything ever happens with normal use. However, I have found such plans invaluable when guests are involved. They can be so rough on things.

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

Great advice!

Thanks @Pat271, great advice! I just looked into the warranty and unfortunately it doesn't cover misuse and we didn't purchase any extra protection. Definitely will in the future though! Thank you!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Carmen-and-Mike0 review the guest honestly ASAP. If they review you quickly then this is the time to consider talking to them about some compensation.

We had a guest call to say the electrics had tripped out. I reset the breaker and couldn't figure out what had caused it until cleaning the toaster the next day I found they had been using it on its side to make cheese on toast!

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

It must be a week of toaster issues! had a guest tell me they couldn't use the toaster a second time. I'm not onsite so waiting for feedback from my daughter as to what the issue is (toast was purchased this year and only been used a handful of times). i've also never heard of making cheese on toast like that, clever. until it makes a giant mess... 

@Gillian166 electric jaffle makers anyone ?

IKR! surely those are universal. But actually I don’t have one in our cottage, will pick up a cheapie at Kmart. 
@Helen744