AirBnB Withholding Payout After Guest Cancellation

Rodrigo996
Level 2
New York, NY

AirBnB Withholding Payout After Guest Cancellation

A guest booked my place 2 months in advance. The guest then canceled a reservation 2 weeks later. Per my Strict cancelation policy, I am supposed to receive 50% of the funds. The funds however are not released right away. I have to way over 1 month for the original check-in date. I do not see a reason why AirBnB would hold on to funds for over a month when I as the Host no longer have any further obligations / services that I need to render. I spoke to 2 customer service people but they are not able to do anything. Any advice on how to fight this with AirBnB. A formal dispute or something? I am new to AirBnB and I like the platform, but this policy makes no sense.

3 Replies 3
Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Rodrigo996   I am afraid that is all normal.  Whether a guest stays or cancel the funds don't get released until approx 24hrs after the check in time.  I suspect this is to do with the system Airbnb has set up for releasing funds and to deal with separate cancellations over the many listings they have would be extremely time consuming along with difficult.  But I can't say this for sure.

I would think of it differently, if you are able to get another booking for the time period of the cancellation, then the following week you will get paid for both the booking and the cancellation.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Rodrigo996  Why would you "fight" this? What's the point? AirBnB can run their business however they see fit. You get paid after the reservation start date, even if the reservation has been canceled. End of story. 

Would you argue that when a guest books months in advance that you should get the money then? 

AirBnB holds funds because that's how they make money. I wouldn't waste any more time on this, unless you like to waste time. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rodrigo996 Actually the policy makes very good sense. You will be paid at exactly the time you would have been paid had the guest not cancelled. How could that ever be a problem.  If you get another booking you will also be paid for that (although hopefully you might then consider refunding the original guest).