AirBnB please protect our BRAND and income - change to covid safe messaging now!

Scott424
Level 4
Deception Bay, Australia

AirBnB please protect our BRAND and income - change to covid safe messaging now!

In Australia, we have been a story of success in containing and managing Covid infections. Supported by the whole community, who have understood the need for change, and changed.

I’ve hosted for a few years and work very hard to provide safe stays. I’ve worked inside the system with almost religious fervour, asking guests to keep their messages inside the platform and to follow the rules. But now, this system is putting me and my family at risk, this system is preventing compliance with emergency orders in my country issued by Chief Health Officers.

As required by Law in Australia, I need to know the identity of Every guest and ask health screening questions before I allow a stay. There are several other requirements in the “Health Management Plan for Accommodation”, as issued by the Queensland State Government, mandatory procedures for the crisis. These operational requirements will not change anytime soon, in my opinion.

Redaction and censorship inside the AirBnB messaging system is preventing me from receiving and recording the information that my Chief Health Officer requires. The most common redaction's are for Date of Birth and Phone Numbers. I’m sure any experienced host has, at one time or another, had their communications censored by AirBnB. The censorship system has other elements you may have encountered, for example, try to provide an alternate communication route and this is also redacted.

I’ve tried to get AirBNB support to help me, but experienced hosts will perhaps know, support responses can be very floral and totally empty of help. I believe AirBnB will strongly resist change, because in their view it might reduce potential service fee income. I’ve asked others for help and I’ve written to my State Member of Parliament. My MP has agreed that the situation seems farcical and dangerous, they have asked the Health Department to investigate. I have also reported AirBnB to the Queensland Police Service, because in my state, any business that operates in a manner that is not Covid Safe will be sanctioned, or ordered to close.

It’s your help I now beg for, I beg that you also act to bring this issue to public scrutiny. Please let your local politician know about this dangerous behaviour. If, where you live, it is an offence for a business to act in a Non-Covid safe manner, I beg you to report that behaviour. It might be the Health Department or Police Service or Fair Trading Office that deals with the matter in your jurisdiction, please tell those officials.

I remind AirBnB staff, my safety and the safety of my family is a responsibility you share. To keep my family and guests safe, I require free and open communication with my guests so I can comply with the Law in Australia.

3 Replies 3

@Scott424   Have you been encountering the auto-redactions after confirming the bookings, or is this only happening during the Request correspondence?

Scott424
Level 4
Deception Bay, Australia

Redaction only occurs until a booking is accepted by me and paid by the guest.

The Law says I may not accept bookings and form a contract for accommodation, unless identify and health status are verified.

I have been accepting bookings early because of redaction.. I have been penalized by the Airbnb for cancellations. Support informing me that if I provide proof of health orders.. they will remove my cancellation penalty.

Censorship and penalties.. all automatic, requiring more work to overcome.

Search rankings reduced because I cannot allow instant booking.. I need to know my guests identity before I can accept them. Hosts who don't care about safety.. now rank higher than me!

All these behaviours and procedures are to protect Airbnb income.. they prevent lawful, compliant, covid safe operations.

Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

@Scott424 , Hi Scott i am also in the same boat. All I have been able to do is put the request for the info into the enquiry response prior to accepting or declining then allow the guest to make the decision to comply I also let them know that the law state they MUST comply if they do not comply then I have no alternative than to  decline the request stating that my home would not be suitable to their needs.

That works a treat. I have had no issues at all yet. Most Aussies are really great and understanding.