Airbnb Adding New "Cross-Currency Fee "

Answered!

Airbnb Adding New "Cross-Currency Fee "

Thought I would mention that I came across this notice when researching some information about the Guest Service Fee. It will affect a lot of Hosts. Per the article, Airbnb will begin adding an addl "cross currency fee" to the typical 14.2% Guest Service Fee. This will happen April 2024:

Airbnb Cross Currency Fee:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1857#section-heading-1-0

Joan2709_0-1707661890479.png

"...For bookings where the guest pays using a different currency from the one set by the Host for their listing, we adjust our fees to align with the value we provide our guests. For these cross-currency bookings, the guest service fee will include an additional amount, resulting in a guest service fee of up to 16.5% of the booking subtotal. The guest service fee can be seen during checkout before you book..."

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Joan2709 So far I have seen nothing that says who pays the charge when the host is on simplified pricing. Does my 15% fee go up to 17.3%? I really hope not!

This new Airbnb fee is very clever but also very unfair. Given that they collect money in so many different currencies I doubt they ever need to convert much currency at all except when repatriating a small proportion of it into the USA as profits.

View Best Answer in original post

1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Joan2709 So far I have seen nothing that says who pays the charge when the host is on simplified pricing. Does my 15% fee go up to 17.3%? I really hope not!

This new Airbnb fee is very clever but also very unfair. Given that they collect money in so many different currencies I doubt they ever need to convert much currency at all except when repatriating a small proportion of it into the USA as profits.