Airbnb cannot back up its Host Relief Act

Brooke229
Level 3
Rapid City, SD

Airbnb cannot back up its Host Relief Act

When all of this started about a month ago, Brian Chesky (CEO of Airbnb) was feeling the heat. In an effort to get gig worker hosts and ongoing media coverage off his back he quickly released a statement indicating that the Host Relief Act would provide 250M in relief grants to hosts that qualified. 

I think it was something up to $5000 each. Has anyone seen a dime?

I am here to tell you now, I am an eligible host. Not a single cancellation. 100% occupancy rate. Super host and in a popular location as well.

I've made a lot of money off Airbnb and I've made them a lot of money as well.

Called the first time to apply for application for grant, after asking the Airbnb representative a series of reasonable questions (when can we expect it? how much will each person get, etc), not only did she have no idea what I was talking about but she also got beligerant and hung up on me.

Ok.

Called back. 2nd rep had to do some lengthy research but did in fact find the grant information. Sadly, she nor I realized IT WAS COMING OUT OF THE EMPLOYEES POCKETS ACCORDING TO THE GRANT STATEMENT! 

She kept her composure, ensured that I am in fact eligible and would be receiving an application in days to come.

It's been two more weeks and nothing.

My dudes. This is a joke. We have been duped. Homeaway is already calling me and trying to sway my business over to them because they know that Airbnb has not protected us as hosts, this needs to be dealt with. 

Some of us have lost THOUSANDS in a matter of weeks with absolutely no liability to Airbnb itself it is disgraceful and I'd like to hear what some of the rest of you have to say about it because I'm disgusted.

92 Replies 92
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brooke229 "a statement indicating that the Host Relief Act would provide 250M in relief grants to hosts that qualified. I think it was something up to $5000 each. Has anyone seen a dime?"

You are confusing 2 different programs. The $250 milion was to pay hosts 25% of what they would have received for COVID cancellations had their cancellation policy been upheld. Then there is what was $10 milion, which supposedly is now $17 million, for the Superhost grant.

You can't "apply" for either of these. Some hosts are reporting here that they have received some of the 25% payments- those will probably trickle out slowly. But they do at least seem to be starting to kick in.

The Superhost grant is something Airbnb will determine whether a host is eligible for or not and notify you. So far, I haven't read of any hosts getting those notifications yet.

All I can say is that patience is probably the best policy at this point, as an alternative to frustration (simply for our own mental health), and that no host should hold their breath about how much, or even if, they will receive something.

Mike2059
Level 2
California, United States

Even though @Brooke229 confused two different programs but she was right about what she said. I should have been qualified as well as many other hosts I know. No one received that email and it's 17 millions so there should be at least 3400 hosts who have gotten that email by April 15th max they said, have you heard of any @Sarah977 no. It's nice to state facts and talk about it, that helps your mental energy to let out all the negative things you actually have in you. To replace these negative things with other positive feelings, like taking your hosting business somewhere else if that will help. It's nice to actually know about mental energy science before just saying anything about it.

@Mike2059 I have no idea what you're talking about. 

@Sarah977 

That may be the effects of mind altering drugs. He may have been on a "trip" when writing that comment. lol

Hi you're right I was frustrated but it's not worth it  ! I definitely think we are being mocked of I don't feel real empathy and support  from airbnb it's as if they're waiting for us to let it go and move on   ! I lost over 10 thousand and near 20 thousand when the travel ban is over   I was booking 30days minimum and a few in between  I had 4 bnb

I have not received anything 0$  all with strict cancellation policy Im starting to think its not going to happen  he was  very vague and it's not clear when or how we'll get the 25% refund I was very disappointed to see the last update it didn't seem genuine the  20 second talk about the 25% refund for host and  the 25% seems to to be no longer  really 25%  peoples are struggling and they spent most of the time talking about experience giggling!!! WOW really!

@Brooke229 Am still patiently waiting , got an answer , they have asked me to wait until  the 1st of May . Let see because all my bookings for the month of April and May already gone . Hopefully I will have a positive news , and I will for sure share it with you guys . My villas are in Bali , am also a superhost for many years . Am really confused of they 25% host relief program policy , wether am qualified or not .

Has anyone learned WHEN these payment will hit? I read April, but the month is almost over, and I've yet to see anything?

@Brooke229 @Mike2059 

I believe the super host relief fund was only 10 million dollar that has become a 17 million dollar relief funds.. has begun.. the first 75 people that is being evaluated at the first wave, is being evaluated throughly on the second stage of the evaluation.. you just have to wait until the next and upcoming wave if you are selected.. it has nothing to do with the 25% you get from full refund from extenuating circumstances with or with our documentation cancellation..

Jeffrey Bong
Marcia55
Level 3
Auburn, WA

Times are hard and are getting harder.  I talked with a person about an application for a grant and have received no word.  Please take care of this as soon as possible.  I will await your reply.

Marcia **   marcisplace

[personal details hidden]

Marcia55
Level 3
Auburn, WA

I have been a Super Host for a long time and was under the understanding that my request for application for a grant would be taken into consideration.  Please let me know

@Marcia55  Unfortunately, there aren't any "requests for application" for these grants. You just have to wait until Airbnb hopefully sends you something.

Lisa5313
Level 1
North Little Rock, AR

Not a single dime or email about the same. 

Marcia55
Level 3
Auburn, WA

I am not sure what has happened, but hopefully some one from airbnb will send me an app soon.  I feel like I qualify because my Superhost status like it said in the  write up. I hope these are just a misunderstanding on  my part as a Superhost.

I will wait for more carlification. Thank you for reading this

@Marcia55  No hosts here have reported receiving any application re the Superhost grant yet.