Airbnb super host proof of employment for background check

Answered!
Jackie4
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Airbnb super host proof of employment for background check

I have been an Airbnb super host since 2016 and put Airbnb as my previous/current employer on my resume.

I received a job offer and am in the background phase where they're verifying my employment for the last 10 years. I submitted a letter stating I've been self employed but they want a letter from a supervisor on company letterhead.

I'm going to provide a copy of my earnings from my tax returns and hope for the best.

Has anyone else run into this situation? Any ideas?

(Edit: I did list I was self-employed and put that I was an Airbnb host on my application and resume.)

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jackie4  Airbnb is not your employer. It specifically states in their TOS that hosts are considered to be independent contractors, not employees. So you won't be able to get any letter from Airbnb confirming that you're an employee. 

You should have just stated under "employer" that you were self-employed as a short term rental host.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

Hi @Jackie4 

I would also print out a few pages of the reviews from my guests. The dates of stays show, and the reviews are a nice reference as to your character.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jackie4  Airbnb is not your employer. It specifically states in their TOS that hosts are considered to be independent contractors, not employees. So you won't be able to get any letter from Airbnb confirming that you're an employee. 

You should have just stated under "employer" that you were self-employed as a short term rental host.

I did list I was self-employed and I know I am not an employee. I was curious if anyone else had been in this type of situation and how they were able to satisfy the agency doing the background check. Thank you for your input.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jackie4  I base my responses to posts on exactly what the OP has written- in this case "put Airbnb as my previous/current employer on my resume." So you can see where it wouldn't be evident that you understood that you're not considered an employee.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Yes, I definitely see your point and can see where there could be confusion for you and for the agency. I posted an update under my question. Your input gave me much better insight so it was really quite helpful. Thank you! 🙂 I think a phone call with them tomorrow will clear this up.

Jo283
Level 1
San Jose, CA

how did this work out for you? I am in the same situation where I did airbnb for 3 years and am wondering how to put it for the background check so it passes

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Airbnb is not an employer it is simply a channel you use to market your STR. @Jo283 so I am not sure how you could add this as a background check for employment.