Are You Making Changes to Your Hosting Style in 2022?

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Are You Making Changes to Your Hosting Style in 2022?

Happy New Year!  We took a break from hosting this fall/winter to tackle upgrades and repairs.  But this year I've decided not to host  stays of longer than a week.  I was also leaving 48 hours between stays for enhanced cleaning.... decreasing that to 24 hours. I don't realistically see being able to turn over a whole house in 4-5 hours with the state of this pandemic.

On a fun note, I'm purchasing and hanging more art. What changes are you making in 2022?

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ann783 

- I removed the VAT charge from my listings, as there is no obligation to charge it anymore, because of  the pandemic my total earnings are below the treshold.

- I increased prices because the costs of energy (gas, electricity) have doubled !

-  i  probably will loose Superhost status as I decline a lot of booking requests. But no problem, being a normal host is the new quality standard !

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Ann783not truly except that we are going to try to find a tenant on our own for a few months and break away from the platform more often. Its just a lot.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann783 

I recently changed the maximum occupancy for my guest rooms from two to one.

I host long term guests and these have always been solo travellers until recently (although sometimes they have a partner/friend/family member joint them for a few days). Lately, I've been getting more couples wanting to book a room.

I find that if I have guests staying in the other rooms at the same time, it's really just too many people in the house.

I also turned off Instant Book for one of my rooms (the one that's currently booked up for several months) and may do the same with another room and see how that goes. This is because I've been getting far more guests instant booking than usual (used to be rare with long term stays) and the majority of these were problematic and needed to be cancelled.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Laura2592   Worry less, charge more.  We ended up doing surprisingly well this year because Nov and Dec were jammed packed and we didn't block any holidays because our family still refuse to fly here. 

We will replace the super old refrigerator with a new stainless one and replace the living room sofa which is beginning to look really tired.  I may go back to all cotton sheets at least for the queen bed.  We had a bamboo duvet cover at one time but it was unbelievably heavy and took 2 hours to dry but that was a few years ago.

I  have actually fantasized about losing superhost status so I will have no reason to stress about reviews and I think if we lost that badge we would be inclined to be more fully honest and give more detail than we do now, not feeling the need to always walk on eggshells about everything.