COVID-19, AirBnB is still charging hosts fees.

Sérgio93
Level 2
Costa da Caparica, PT

COVID-19, AirBnB is still charging hosts fees.

I had a cancellation because of COVID and so I issued a full refund. After I got an e-mail from AirBnB saying that they will 155€ from my next payout. I was going to get a payout of 150.35€ from a payment of 155€. So they will collect 155€ from my payout of 150.53€.

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sérgio93  It sounds like you cancelled this reservation yurself, rather than "had a cancellation". If the guest cancel, you would not have any penalties- nothing taken from future payouts, you just won't get paid for the reservation if the guest cancels right now due to cornoavirus fears.

Do not do cancellations yourself! If the guest wants to cancel, they have to do it from their end. If you get a message saying the guest wants to cancel and asking you to approve or decline, decline- if you approve it, it counts as a host cancellation (I suspect this is what happened?). If you decline it, the guest just goes ahead and cancels from their end and you won't be penalized in any way. 

The cancellation was made by the guest, I got an email saying that the guest cancelled the reservation. 

Besides, today I got a message from the guest asking for the fee he payed and I told him that I only refund the money I would get from Airbnb and that I don't know how much he was charged.

I think Airbnb isn't applying the COVID-19 rules in my country (Portugal) they must think that the virus is still in Asia. But my guess is that everyone loses and Airbnb still gets his commissions.

Jenny1077
Level 2
Borrego Springs, CA

I agree!  I've lost thousands. I wasn't consulted on this "new" policy. It's crap! I'm sorry about the circumstances, but most of us are small businesses and this will hurt!! I'm listed on OTHEr rental sites and they are not digging in my pockets and stealing my money!!  Re thinking who I list my property with!! Up hold our cancellation policy.. all parties walk away with something!