COVID-19 - share your strategies.... here's what I'm doing

Answered!
Cari3
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

COVID-19 - share your strategies.... here's what I'm doing

I don't know about you but right now with COVID doing it's thing a) bookings are as scarce as hen's teeth and b) I'm not sure if I'd want the random influx of nightly guests given the way it spreads on surfaces.  And I don't think this is going to be over anytime soon.  PS.... I'm totally hoping I've got that very wrong.  So..... here's what I'm doing in case it might help some of you.

I have 4 airbnbs, they are all socially distanced, all separate with their own entrances, private patios with their own microwaves, fridges, toasters, crockery and cutlery.  Half our house is one.  Then in our spacious backyard we have a tiny earth cottage, a vintage camper and a suite in our garage.  What's missing are any real cooking facilities so we're going to pop up a temporary communal one anyone who wants more can use with some pretty strict house rules. I'm going to set up a COVID-safe community and aspire to attract people who want to find a harbour from the storm:  a safe and peaceful COVID community where we all look out for each other over the summer while COVID wreaks whatever havoc and/or brings about whatever transformation he is going to.  So I'm looking to attract people who might want vastly cheaper rent to stay the whole of summer.  I realize airbnb may not be the best platform for this so I'm also combing the list of people looking for rentals and reaching out to a select few. Fortunately,  we are also only 5 minutes from both grocery stores and pharmacies.   

What are some of the things you're doing?

1 Best Answer
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Cari3 We have offered to

donate use of our homes to first responders and healthcare workers needing to self-quarantine. But so far I haven’t seen an organized platform to do this.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Careful @Cari3 , The airport was first port of call - and in Marched Covid- all 19 of them...

On a serious note, I've done a few things behind the scenes which will hopefully come out in the wider arena for the betterment of all.

Been great to chat to friends who have been neglected.

I went into a local shop & purchased some Hopje's, Dutch Coffee Candy ( @Quincy  ) and popped them in a bag with a pile of crossword puzzles ( asked they photocopy them & share them around) and dropped them off to a local Retirement complex as our elderly on their own are oft the forgotten ones & they will all be missing their outings to the local shops.

We all must bring some joy to others and keep our faculties functioning in such times.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh my, that's so lovely of you @Helen427! I'm sure they will enjoy the sweets 🙂 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I'm sure they will. They were all up enjoying the sunshine enjoying themselves prior to lockdown.

The shop was quite busy when I popped in to get them.

@Quincy  Trust me I stocked up too, alas there's only about 2 of my favourite Salted Liquorice left, as I'm sure we are all guilty of doing when we open a packet it's so hard to stop!.

Did you stock up on them to??

We are very fortunate to be living in times we are as during the war they had to eat Tulip Bulbs to survive. Something everyone needs to be mindful of who stockpile

What a wonderful idea - bet those seniors will love their coffee candy and crosswords!   Kind deeds do great things for our immune systems

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

donate use of our homes to first responders and healthcare workers needing to self-quarantine. But so far I haven’t seen an organized platform to do this.

Lisa for Oregon City (we aren’t so far apart).  Airbnb absolutely does have a place to offer your homes to first responders and heatlhcare workers.  I saw it when I was updating my listings.  I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you where I saw it, but I did.

@Cari3 you're right! This is new-- I see it now under "booking settings." @Lizzie I hope Airbnb will email a notice of this new option to all hosts.

Awesome, so glad you found it!!!!

Norene1
Level 4
Bar Harbor, ME

This is outrageous. You cannot set up a COVID community. You have no control over who's coming to use your listings. I have seen several very, very vocal and verbal protests to doing exactly this. 

Cari3
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Hi Norene, you’re quite right.  I obviously didn’t think this through as closely as I should have.  Airbnb let me know and I changed it immediately.  Kindly Cari

Ocean50
Level 6
Revesby, Australia

@Lisa723 wrote:

This solution is cool but it's a child's play. The divorce rate is increasing as unhappy couples emerge from weeks of lockdown, so this is the service all hosts should be doing to keep up with the time.

PS: Admin please mark me as a new resolution, thank you very much.

Page-002.png