Cable television in Canada

Susanne416
Level 1
Victoria, CA

Cable television in Canada

We live in British Columbia, Canada and currently offer our guests Cable TV (plus free WiFi).  It is very costly here in Canada, and we are looking for an alternative to Cable TV.  We were recently in the States and noticed our host provided several choices, aside from cable, such as Roku, Netflix, etc - I am a bit of a rookie with all this different channeling and am not sure we can even provide this in Canada .... can we?  Can anyone help me out with alternate ideas for guest entertainment (with the TV), please, bearing in mind our rules are different in Canada.  We definitely intend to keep the WiFi for guests .... that’s an absolute must.

2 Replies 2
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Susanne416 Fellow Canadian here, and I offer Netflix and Amazon Prime as well as free-to-air stations with a digital antenna. If you're thinking of offering something similar, I would strongly recommend purchasing smart TVs that have the services already built in: I only purchase Visio TVs for my listings, because they literally have a Netflix and Prime button on the remotes so guests can't possibly screw it up.

I cut the cable years ago, and I absolutely don't regret it. As you say, it's ridiculously expensive here. I would recommend keeping the free-to-air stations though, because people want to watch hockey.

Susanne416
Level 1
Victoria, CA

Thank you so much for your advice.  May I also ask, how do you obtain a digital antenna, which presumably allows you access to the free-to-air stations  ?