Fellow NYer, need help with collecting taxes -- how much?

Answered!
Jane2808
Level 2
New York, NY

Fellow NYer, need help with collecting taxes -- how much?

So I just spent a full day trying to find out what NYC/NYS tax rate is for hotel rooms! No one knows. I got a supervisor at the state Dept. of Finance who gave me the state rate: 8.75%. And I know about the hotel room occupancy fee of $1.50/night. But that seems too low. Are there city taxes I'm missing? Of course 311 has no idea, nor the city DOF. Anyone out there collecting tax in NYC for their Airbnb, and what rate?

1 Best Answer
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Jane2808!

I'm hoping @Ann72 could help you with your query.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jane2808!

I'm hoping @Ann72 could help you with your query.

Jenny

-----

Thanks. She's in Maine, so probably won't know NYC oddities. But a good contact nonetheless.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry about that @Jane2808 - my bad!  As you say, still a good contact to have.

-----

Thanks, @Jenny, but I host in Maine, so I'm not up on NYC taxes!  However, to respond to @Jane2808's question, "Are there city taxes I'm missing?," yes, I believe that the state collects both NYC and NYS sales tax as well.  See the first paragraph of this article:  https://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/taxes/business-hotel-room-occupancy-tax.page.  The article will bring you to the link for the certificate for occupancy tax.  It's pretty head-spinning!

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks @Ann72 - sorry for my mistake!

-----

I had seen that. I spoke with a supervisor in the State Dept. of Finance, and he did not know what the city tax was. The occupancy tax is simple: $1.50/night. But I'm quite sure there is more than that.