First Reservation Request - Potential Scam or Spam???

Ryne43
Level 2
St. Louis, MO

First Reservation Request - Potential Scam or Spam???

Hello - I just listed our first AirBnB rental last week, and received a request just now for someone to stay in our cabin this Friday-Monday (less than 48 hours til their check-in).  This person joined AirBnB in July 2022, has no reviews, but does have a verified identity.   But, the message in the request seemed off:

Hi Ryne, this is (Name Redacted). My husband and I are traveling with my husband's sister and her husband. Also, my husband's brother and his wife. We are needing to have some time away from home. My husband's brother and his wife lost their daughter to cancer in 2014. She was 17. On July 31st of 2021 they lost their son in a traffic accident. He was 18. We all just need some time away for a few days to relax. Your cabin looks beautiful and the surroundings look very peaceful. Thank you for considering us to rent your cabin this weekend.

If this is a real message, OMG I feel so so so awful for them.  

The fast turnaround, the new profile with no reviews, and the extra personal information gives me pause.

So, do you see anything strange with this request?  How would you react? 

13 Replies 13
Ralf5
Level 10
Inzell, Germany

Hi @Ryne43 ,

I cannot spot anything which looks like a scam. Usually potential guests do mention the reason of their stay and also write some information about the family members or friends  travelling with them.  Sometimes they write about their jobs or their hobbies and so on, but it is not very often to tell you such kind of personal details. However they may want to make clear that they all need a week-end off somewhere else. 

Also a brandnew profile is not unusual if they provided the verification details to the platform.

I also wouldn't be concerned about the short notice (2 days before check-in), may be they had to figure out how to fit this week-end into everyones schedule and just agreed on that particular week-end. 

I would not hesitate to host this group.

"My husband's brother and his wife lost their daughter to cancer in 2014. She was 17. On July 31st of 2021 they lost their son in a traffic accident. He was 18. "

WOW

And they informing you, the total stranger, about things that happened in the far PAST and it has what relation to the stay?

Something is really off. But...people are strange.

I, personally, would be alarmed too - you are their landlonrd, not their friend - that is what they doing to you - trying to make you "friend"

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Ryne43 

While this is definitely TMI, it does not really sound like scammer language to me. And based on the date mentioned, it sounds like family members may have suddenly had a hard time facing an "anniversary" death date and another family member is trying to book some time away for a distraction. Not exactly something you could plan months ahead. "Hey, let's book a trip the week of the anniversary of your son's death so you won't be sad!" isn't exactly something you plan.

And as mentioned by @Ralf5 , a brand new profile is not necessarily a red flag.

I'd be cautious and perhaps on alert, but wouldn't deny this reservation.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Ryne43  I would find a way not to host these people.  I would be very uncomfortable with someone telling me that information, because while it may be true, it seems like a set up for a play for sympathy, which in turn can lead to a play for money or other rule breaking activity.  But, hosting for many  years has made me fairly suspicious or things that are out of the norm, as this message is.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ryne43 

Ryne, I would accept that reservation without a second thought.

After a while you get good at spotting red flags,

This guest has required nothing of you,

1/......they have not asked for anything that you haven't already stated in your listing description.

2/......they have stated you have a lovely, peaceful property, they have come to you in a complimentary way and they simply want to pay and stay.

3/......they have provided you with their names and described comprehensively their reason for staying.

These are exactly the things I look for in a reservation request, as far as I am concerned they tick all the boxes.

Remember Ryne, we were all newbies once upon a time, we all started out with a blank Airbnb slate and almost all of my first time users have turned out to be great guests. The fact they have just joined and don't have any previous reviews would not be a turn-off for me. I place more importance on that initial contact.....how have they approached me!

My experience has taught me that guests fall into two categories.....

A/.......'Passive/Complimentary'......"Hi my name is Jane, my husband Bob and I would like a few days away to celebrate our wedding anniversary, your cottage looks great and we can't wait to stay".

I don't need to dig any more, they have named themselves, they have told me the reason for their visit, they have praised my listing, they just want to pull out the credit card and stay.

I know they will be great guests!

B/......'Aggressive/Demanding'......."We are attending a wedding in your area, can we check-in at 1.00pm to give ourselves plenty of time to prepare? do you have off street parking? we have a small dog, he is well trained and doesn't bark, I am sure he won't give you any trouble if you will let us bring him"!

Nah.....hang on, I don't know you from Adam but, all you have done is require something of me that would have been answered in the house rules if you had bothered to read them.

Ryne, don't get involved with hagglers.....the more questions they ask the more they strengthen their ground and weaken yours. It's a form of 'power-play' to them, they question everything on order to get their own way.

Just make sure that all guests are named, approved by you as a guest and made known to Airbnb when they book, just point out that unregistered guests have no protection through Airbnb and this in turn affects the host. Be strong on that point and I think you will find this will be a good booking.

All the best.

Cheers..........Rob

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

While it is odd for someone to give so much interrelated information, I know a lot of people that are that way, and usually are of an extremely kind nature. I would host them with an eye for anything unusual.

You are just starting, little too loose.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If people thought that way about you @Ryne43  you would never get any bookings 🙂

@Helen3  - awfully judging this morning, aren't we? 

@Helen3

is it really necessary to get personal?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Not personal at all @David8879  or judgey @Ryne43 

I was simply pointing out that when we start out as new hosts with no reviews guests are taking a risk with us just as much as we take a risk with them.

@Ryne43  you expressed concerns because the guest is new to airbnb and has no reviews  yet you are in the same position 😁😁😁

Ryne43
Level 2
St. Louis, MO

@Robin4 @Mark116 @Suzanne302 @Fred13 @Ralf5 
Thank you all for your productive responses... I appreciate it, as I navigate the intricacies of "hosting" 

Khrystyna4
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hi there, may I please ask how you ended up handling this request? 
we have also received a TMI request from someone new on Airbnb and are sensing the red flags. Thank you!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Khrystyna4 ,

Since it has been a while since you posted, how did it turn out eventually? Were you able to handle the request or did you accept the reservation?

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines