Florence 2023 Tourist Tax Increase

Romano6
Level 3
Florence, Italy

Florence 2023 Tourist Tax Increase

On March 22, 2023 I received this email from AirBnB regarding the Florence tourist tax increase:

"Starting from Saturday 1 April 2023, the tourist tax in Florence will increase from 4 euros to 5.50 euros per person per day.

We remind you that Airbnb collects the tourist tax when guests book. This means that exclusively for bookings made before April 1st with stays after April 1st, it will be you Host who will have to independently collect the difference of 1.50 euros and its subsequent payment.

For bookings made after April 1st, we confirm that Airbnb will automatically adjust the amount of the tourist tax requested from guests during the booking process and as a Host you will therefore not have to do anything.

For more information on the tourist tax, you can consult this web page of the Municipality of Florence."

Question: Have my guests, who have made a reservation before April 1st, been notified by AirBnB that they need to pay me, the Host, the difference between the old rate and the new rate?

Thanks, Romano

1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Romano6 The only way to find out would be to message your guests who booked before this change nd ask them. I am no lawyer but changing the terms of a contract unilaterally (which is what you are being forced to do) is generally not allowed. Government tax changes may be exempt - I just don't know.

Anyway by messaging/warning guests it will help your situation. Worst case I would just suck up this charge myself.