French Taxes for US Citizens (non-Resident)

Reda461
Level 1
Johns Creek, GA

French Taxes for US Citizens (non-Resident)

Hello,

I am American, I live in the US and I rent an apartment in France with Airbnb.

2023 was my first year as a host. I already filed my US taxes, but I am unsure about the French taxes. I contacted 2 firms in France and they are both giving me 2 different answers. 

Are there any Americans in the same situation? If so, have you filed your taxes in France before? Could you please assist me?

I appreate any assistance. 

Thank you,

Reda

2 Replies 2
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Reda461 👋

It's been a while since you posted I wondered if you found the answer to your question?

If you speak french at all, as we have the French Community Center which may be able to support you further. 

I also found this article in the Help Center that may help:
Responsible hosting in France 

Please let us know how you've got on and if you've found a solution to your problem, as it may help Hosts who have a similar question in future. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Reda461 Generally you are required to file taxes in the country where the property is located. If there is a dual tax agreement between France and the USA (I am 99% sure there is) then you can offset these French taxes against your US taxes. If possible I would unfile my US taxes if you can as it seems like you have paid taxes in the wrong country and pay end up having to pay them in France as well.