Guest Review

Matu25
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Guest Review

I am a new host, and I haven't had much trouble with my guests except for this one - at first everything went ok, until checkout.

She did not follow my household rules. She invited several people to my home without my permission, with two of them staying the night.   I informed her that I would charge her an additional fee for the extra guests, and she and one of the guests who should not have been staying the night made up a story that my house was filthy, that they discovered shaving cream and pubic hair in my bathroom sink, and that they had pictures to show. I asked them to show, and they were unable to provide any evidence. My bathroom is one of the cleanest places in my house, as most of my guests would attest.Not only that, but they did not leave at the designated checkout time.  They ask for extra time 15-30 minutes to finish cleaning but I did not oblige because it ran into my other things I needed to do in the house.When I walked in, my house was disorganized, with trash everywhere, a coloring stain on my hardwood floor,  I had to work over time to remove. A large amount of trash in my kitchen, despite the fact that the instructions stated where the trash should be placed. 

I didn't want to write a review because I'm a new host and I want the  ratings. Not only that she'd said initially she would cancel her booking because I had a no party rule and she wanted to have a slumber party for her kids, and that there would be no noise just movie night and they'll be in bed by 10. I said if there would be no noice I would be happy to host them.  So I feel like I asked for the outcome so there's no need to complain about what I signed up for.  Now I just received an email that she'd written a review - they'd called me to find out if I there was any additional fee that I was looking to charge for the extra guest and trash - I said you'll hear from aribnb and they decided theywere going to write a bad review.  I have to write a review tonight. I'm not sure what lies she's written and I'm not sure what to write. Do I give a detail account of their stay? Please advise. I can be emotional too in my responses so I need advisel.

7 Replies 7
Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

@Mayu25,

Best advice I received from an experienced host was... see below.

1. Keep your review short and on point.

2. Do not be emotional.

"Guest failed to follow House Rules and Check-Out instructions.

Although I wish X (guest's first name only) the best, I would decline the opportunity to Host her (or him) again."

Then give low stars for each category your guest failed to follow.

Thank you!

(P.S. Sorry about misspelling your name!)  ❤️ 

It’s ok. 😊

Can0
Level 3
Chicago, IL

Keep it short an honest, keep your evidences strong and take lots of photos. Keep communication in Airbnb portal only.

If they write you a really unfair review that is full of lies in retaliation, once in a million chance Airbnb will remove that review if you open a support case. Airbnb review policy prohibits retaliation reviews when a hosts enforces a rule to guests.

Oh yes, the guests will lies but do not worry, you will recover fast. I was getting emotional and sad over those lies, when guests seeing several good reviews but few bad ones, they actually know those people were the bad guests and were in fault, not you. I can call out BS reviews right away when i am booking places as a guest for myself and just ignore them.

Thanks!

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Matu25 👋

Did any of the answers below support you in writing a review? If so, it's always a lovely gesture to mark it as the best answer. It's like a big virtual hug to the member who supported you. 😊

If you need any help, just shout.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines