Guest charges ad Host Pay Out amount

Answered!
Joanne907
Level 2
Riverview, Canada

Guest charges ad Host Pay Out amount

Good Day,

I have received my first booking reservation yesterday. I am please about it and i am hoping that i follow the process properly. I am new at this so i just want to make sure that the guest charges versus my pay out is clear for me and my quest.

So for the Guest he received an early bird promotion of 20% and he reserved for 10 days for a total of $1280.00 (that is what i informed him of how much it would cost him). what i forgot to mention is the service fee of $180.71 and occupancy tax of $219.11 for a grand total of $1679.82 because i did not know  enough about theses fees 9 my mistake)

My concern is that i informed him that it would be $1280.00 and now he will be charged extra fees. How do i go about informing my client of these additional charges so there is no surprise charge for him when the time comes to pay. Or again when he reserves these 10 days stay did it mention to him the cost plus the fees and taxes? if so then he must have understood that those charges were extra.

Can you guide me to where i can read about the fees and occupancy taxes and my service fees on my payout so i can be better informed going forward.

my pay out will be  $1280.00-$38.40 ( service fees) = $1241.60 

Is there anything else that i need to on my end for the payout to come to me when the guest checks in? 

Right now if i go to the reservation profile it has a option to proceed to send or request for money? do I ask for this now?? can you clarify for me please and Thank you kindly.

Joanne

I

1 Best Answer
Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Joanne907 

Congratulations on your first booking and I remember how nerve racking that was especially as I hadn't realised that my listing was set to Instant Booking so received a trip request for the next day!

I've changed this since and am now only with a request to book but to answer some of your questions:

Payment - we are generally paid 24 hours after our guest arrives and the amount is sent by Airbnb so all payment transactions  are handled by Airbnb.  Having said this, as a newbie, that first payment may very well take longer - up to a month.  Hope all your bank details etc are entered?  So the send or request money option is not used to obtain payment for the reservation.  (Look that up though for future use maybe😉)

From the information you have given, I can see that you have chosen to split the Airbnb commission between you (3% + VAT) and the guest (around 14% + VAT)

The guest will have been sent the complete breakdown of what it costs them to stay - your nightly fee minus any promotion, cleaning fee if you have one, taxes and commissions and any other add ons.  

However, I would send a message to the guest via the Airbnb inbox (always) and send them a nice thank you for their reservation and mention that the price you indicated was without any of the Airbnb fees (only Airbnb calculate those) but with the Early Discount and that you hope that they are happy to proceed and if not they are free to cancel within 48 hours or whatever, no harm done.  You don't want this guest to come back and demand that they only pay what you said it would cost them once they have stayed.  I don't want to seem paranoid but there are some people who take advantage of new hosts and I don't want that to happen to you.  The full cost should definitely not come as a surprise to them and if it does, then it's a red flag!

Read up as much as you can on the Airbnb site and here on the CC so that you are as knowledgeable as possible on hosting and any questions just pop back here and ask away😊 if you haven't found your answer by using the search option up at the top of this page.

All the best

Joëlle

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Joanne907 

Congratulations on your first booking and I remember how nerve racking that was especially as I hadn't realised that my listing was set to Instant Booking so received a trip request for the next day!

I've changed this since and am now only with a request to book but to answer some of your questions:

Payment - we are generally paid 24 hours after our guest arrives and the amount is sent by Airbnb so all payment transactions  are handled by Airbnb.  Having said this, as a newbie, that first payment may very well take longer - up to a month.  Hope all your bank details etc are entered?  So the send or request money option is not used to obtain payment for the reservation.  (Look that up though for future use maybe😉)

From the information you have given, I can see that you have chosen to split the Airbnb commission between you (3% + VAT) and the guest (around 14% + VAT)

The guest will have been sent the complete breakdown of what it costs them to stay - your nightly fee minus any promotion, cleaning fee if you have one, taxes and commissions and any other add ons.  

However, I would send a message to the guest via the Airbnb inbox (always) and send them a nice thank you for their reservation and mention that the price you indicated was without any of the Airbnb fees (only Airbnb calculate those) but with the Early Discount and that you hope that they are happy to proceed and if not they are free to cancel within 48 hours or whatever, no harm done.  You don't want this guest to come back and demand that they only pay what you said it would cost them once they have stayed.  I don't want to seem paranoid but there are some people who take advantage of new hosts and I don't want that to happen to you.  The full cost should definitely not come as a surprise to them and if it does, then it's a red flag!

Read up as much as you can on the Airbnb site and here on the CC so that you are as knowledgeable as possible on hosting and any questions just pop back here and ask away😊 if you haven't found your answer by using the search option up at the top of this page.

All the best

Joëlle

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Such wonderful advice here @Joelle43 - thank you so much for supporting @Joanne907 😍

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines