Guest holds party - can I claim compensation?

Shaama0
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Guest holds party - can I claim compensation?

Hi, 

I was hosting a guest for a weekend. MY house rules clearly state no guests or parties allowed. After one night, I got a call from my building manager saying that there were about 16 people in the apartment making a lot of noise and drinking away. It was almost 11pm and as per the law the neighbours are allowed to call the police for excessive noise.

I called the guest to find out more information. She did not pick up 3 times I picked up. The 4th time she did and said she only had 2 friends over and they were playing games. I asked my neighbor to see if there was noise and he saw about 15 ppl leave the aparment. I messaged the guest saying that. What am i supposed to do in this situation?

Am I able to claim the security deposit because of this? What else can I do as compensation rather than giving her a bad review?

Thanks,

Shaama

26 Replies 26

I am getting frustrated with Airbnb.   They are very slow to back me up even though my listing says NOT FOR EVENTS.

Doug

This appears to be pretty common, and they drag their feet when it comes to doing anything.  And when they do come back you can expect to be disappointed.   I don't understand how they can expect to screw over their hosts and keep their business afloat.

Doug42
Level 1
Washington, DC

I currently have a guest with two days remaining and they had 37 people last light in 5AM.  What can I do at this point?

If this is against your house rules which they agreed to, call Airbnb and kick their butts out.

The problem is Airbnb does not kick them out, they cancel the reservation but physically getting them out of your home is another story. Not only that, if the reservation is canceled you no longer can leave a review to warn other hosts. What that means is these guests remain in the platform and are able to do this to another host. I think it's time we Airbnb hosts band together and make sure Airbnb understands they cannot keep treating us with such disrespect and inconsideration, it's almost as bad as what some of these terrible guests do- actually no, it's worse. They give us the expectation that they're going to have our back's if something does go wrong or if a guest breaks the house rules but the truth is that's happening less and less these day. I'm noticing that Airbnb has almost no intention of backing up their hosts, whether it be if A guess breaks the rules or leaves an exaggerated or completely dishonest review. Say for instance you request money or ask a guest to stop behaving in a certain way in your home, E.G breaking a house rule, what I'm noticing is the guests that tend to break the rules are also the ones that end up leaving you a terrible review or not so complementary review. They are clearly doing this in retaliation but Airbnb allows the review to stand. And the resolution center is no better, the house rules can clearly state that if any of the rules are broken the guest may have to pay a fee, it shouldn't matter if something was broken or stained; if a party was held in a home with a "no party" rule regardless if there was tangible damage like a stain or a broken cup, if your house rule states that a guest will be charged for any rule breaking airbnb needs to honor their policy.

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

You can call Airbnb and have them removed.  They are have been disrespectful to your property. 

I threw 30 people out of my place earlier. Spent 50 minutes on hold on phone with no response. I am questioning air bnb security, many people have tried to book with fake Facebook pages etc. bnb is so big now that a Facebook profile with one friend should not count as verification. 

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

In this situation I would have called the Police and asked them to immediately evict the guest, even if the party goers had already left. You had enough witnesses that could have been mentioned on the Police report. That is the only way to do it and gain respect from your neighbours that you have handled a situation properly that went out of your control. Don't forget that unauthorized guests are "trespassers" and can also be charged as such.

Jan1
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

This is an increasing problem in our area as well. Young people are renting flats and houses for having loud parties, breaking things and bothering neighbours. They can easily do so because it has no or little consequenses for them. It's the host whos stuck with all the problems, and Airbnb dosent do much to change that. 

Magali172
Level 1
Hialeah, FL

I learned to put a minimum 2 night. I’m in Miami and I have an awesome backyard space. People love to message me for “some music and some people” for one night. I cater to tourists, not locals looking to demolish. 

Evelin2
Level 2
Tallinn, EE

Happen to me too last night.

Can I force them at least to pay for extra guests they had?

I have charge listed for any extra people after 3 persons.

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

@Evan-and-Shelby0  you can’t get them to pay for breaking the rules, but you can have them removed ASAP. My last guests were partying at 3am in their panties on my porch with extra guest. They used one of my art bowls as an ashtray and had spilled beer everywhere. They left a horrible review and I don’t care. 

Airbnb stayed on the phone with me while I kicked them out. If they are doing that while I am home, what would they do when I was at work? I was not taking the risk.

She accused me of changing the house rules which was untrue and impossible.

i had also changed my rental to a two night minimum, but that didn’t filter the dog groomers from Odessa out.

i got paid and they were so drunk that they forgot all of their really nice beer and bottle of tequila in my fridge.