HELP! Septic issues may displace guests tonight and incur much higher fees for them? Is there insurance to cover displaced guests?!

Bridget254
Level 2
Glenwood Springs, CO

HELP! Septic issues may displace guests tonight and incur much higher fees for them? Is there insurance to cover displaced guests?!

I have 7 guests. Our septic is overloaded, we think maybe because last guests had children...stuff got flushed? This has NEVER happened!

My poor group! There are no other vacation rentals available in the area. We have two calls out to pros to come and snake it, fix it. But no guarantee of shower/toilet for our group! So they need back-up in case!

Any suggestions? 

Bridget
4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Bridget254 

A professional company must be able to fix it very quickly and useally offer a 24/7 service

Maybe they can bring also a portable toilet (or toiletcabin) with them in case of emergency ?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Bridget254   Better start calling hotels, and plan to pay for their stay.  Insurance isn't going to help you.  I am sorry that you are having this issue.

When you have a septic system, plan to have the lines checked and snaked once or twice a year, and to have an emergency plumber ready to show up.  What have we found in our lines?  Toys. Diapers and incontinence products, both adult sized and child.  Massive clumps of so-called biodegradable personal wipes and canned sanitizing wipes.  Feminine products.  Guests flush everything imaginable.   

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

I have these stickers in my toilets:

Emiel1_1-1622926510197.png

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Bridget254 I second what Lorna and Emiel have offered for advice. An Airbnb septic really needs proactive care…emptied/serviced twice yearly, and signs posted at each toilet, as suggested.