HST implication when hosting short-term and long-term stays

Shi3990
Level 2
New York, NY

HST implication when hosting short-term and long-term stays

My Airbnb is in Toronto, Canada and I've been researching an issue where when the property is converted from short-term stay (<30d) to long-term stays (>30d), it might cause the owner to pay 13% of the fair market value when the conversion happens. My understanding is that when a property is converted from short-term to long-term, it effectively results in a change of use where the property's use changes from commercial (short-term) to residential (long-term), it's almost as if the property had been torn down and rebuilt. Therefore, HST is applied to the market value even though the property wasn't sold.

If my interpretation of the tax rule is correct, then doesn't it mean a host in Toronto/Ontario should only stick to short-term or long-term bookings? Instead of giving a guest the ability to book a few days or a few months?

I am curious if what I am saying makes any sense at all and if any Toronto/Ontario-based hosts have faced this problem.

1 Reply 1
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey there @Shi3990

Let me see if some Toronto based Hosts are around to support you with this one - @Margaret1306@Jason2389 & @Zheng49  are all in the area and may be able to support! 🤞

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines