Has any host been able to file unemployment yet? Alternatives to stay afloat?

Flavia191
Level 2
Boston, MA

Has any host been able to file unemployment yet? Alternatives to stay afloat?

Hello fellow dear hosts,

I hope you are doing well wherever you are. For us here in Mass, we are unable to host until May, 4th (government mandate) plus we are still unable to file unemployment neither any assistance from AirBnB has arrived yet. So how are you faring out the situation? Looking for suggestions on how to stay in business!

3, 2, 1, go!

12 Replies 12
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

As we are not employees of airbnb  you should find if your state  has put in place anything for the self employed.  There's no more $ left in the small business loans part of the trillion $ package, they are no longer taking applications according to a friend who tried to apply last week but if there's a state cap you may still get thru if your state isn't maxed out.I'd try.  Airbnb may randomly give out some amounts to some hosts, in their own sweet time & with maximum fanfare.

I wish there were better news, stay well, my daughter's good friend's sister, who is a nurse, is struggling with covid & now our tough little Southie friend is out of nursing school early and working at a hospital, what a time we are living in, Sally

@Flavia191 

https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-stimulus-package-questions-answers.html

https://tcf.org/content/commentary/american-workers-need-know-unemployment-insurance/

Think these articles could help answer questions about unemployment benefits. Regarding alternatives...... because of the stay-at-home/shelter-in-place orders I would assume any sort of short-term hosting is not an option now. Unless you are hosting medical personnel. 

Hi Has anyone figured out how to apply for unemployment/process?

Just go ahead and file...we are considered "Gig Workers" and because of Corona Virus Relief,

Can now file for UI. Googel it....see my entry below. Good Luck!

But the application made me enter an employer. I entered air bnb but that is wrong. What is everyone else doing? It wouldn’t let me put “self”.

Flavia191
Level 2
Boston, MA

State per state basis. We were told here in Massachusetts, we will be able to apply for unemployment on April, 30th.

Carole140
Level 2
Portland, OR

Hello....It is Not on a State by state Basis. It is USA Wide. Under the CARES Act, Self Employed, or "GigWorkers" can actually now file for unemployment. (Psst! a simple google of this ?gives you all the info). So....just file online. My question...that obviously won't be answered by anyone here is....Has anyone yet recieved any UI by filing as an Airbnb host? I've filed, but I don't feel hopeful.

@Carole140    Yes, $600 per payment through the CARES act is a Federal program, which is now open to self employed and gig workers. HOWEVER, one still needs to apply through one's state unemployment department, many of whom are still busy trying to process the backlog of applications from unemployed payroll workers.  It is state by state in the sense that not everyone can "just go online" and file an application, since not all the state websites are available for it yet. 

Re "My question...that obviously won't be answered by anyone here is...."  - first of all, this is not applicable to everyone that posts here, since this is a global community;  second of all, people in the community here probably have no answers; and third of all, nobody is an official getting paid to answer your questions. 

Any updates? I filed But the application made me enter an employer, not myself. I entered air bnb but that is wrong. So it’s causing problems with the weekly claim. What is everyone else doing? It wouldn’t let me put “self”.

Terry268
Level 1
San Clemente, CA

In applying how do you answer for Airbnb’s contact info; address, supervisor, phone number. Also, why you are not working?

Not needed for self-employed folks. You just need to provide your net profit for the year and all. Massachusetts just opened it up today 🙂

I’m trying to get that answer too. Did you?