Host Fees

Nicola343
Level 2
Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Host Fees

Hi everyone 

apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, I did do a search and couldn’t find anything.

Ive heard that AirBnB plan to remove guest service fees all together from November but increase host fees to 15%?
As a Superhost could someone tell me if there’s any truth to this as of course we’ve all had a shocker of a year and this wouldn’t be helpful

Thanks

Nicola

14 Replies 14
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I thought that option was for airbnb proprietor managements with multiple properties. There have been quite a few posts about it on here recently.

If you use the search function they should come up @Nicola343 

@Nicola343 

The link is to the help page that explains the 2 different service fee options that hosts can choose from. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1857/what-are-airbnb-service-fees

I haven't heard anything about getting rid of guest service fees altogether and leaving us with only 1 option. Hope someone who knows more will post something. 

Nicola343
Level 2

Thanks Jessica! Yep what I heard was that it would become only one option. It maybe they misunderstood so don’t want to panic anyone!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Nicola343  Here's a recent discussion about it with more detail.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

There has been much discussion, but as yet, no one has confirmed this one way or the other. 

@Katie could you please look into this and let us know?  I asked the other day and tagged you, Lizzie and Nick, but none of you replied.

Nicola343
Level 2

Thanks @Sarah977  super helpful

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sarah977, thanks for the tag - I have been chasing this since you tagged me previously, but I'm afraid I haven't yet got an answer for you. As soon as I do I will let you know 😊

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nicola343 Even if Airbnb make this change it will not really affect hosts. Hosts will just increase their prices by about 15%. The guest will pay the same and the host will receive the same net of the 15%.

Only thing to bear in mind is if the guest does not pay a service fee they have nothing to lose by cancelling unless the host's cancellation policy is strict.

@Mike-And-Jane0  But hosts need to know this now. If this takes effect on Nov. 1, hosts are going to get caught out if they haven't changed their pricing to account for it.

@Katie  Thanks for the reply. Thing is, as I said above, hosts need to have this clarified ASAP or there will be a huge outcry from hosts who get bookings, only to find out they are getting 12% less than they anticipated because they didn't adjust their pricing to account for the added service fee. Nov. 1st is just around the corner.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sarah977, if you haven't had an email then it shouldn't be affecting you for now - so far I have only seen hosts from Australia report that they have received one.

As soon as I hear something I will let you know.

Nicola343
Level 2

Hi Katie

Im in Australia but have not received an email so it’s not consistent even in country.

thanks 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Nicola343 ok sure, thanks for the heads up - as I said, if you haven't had an email then it shouldn't be changing for you just yet.

@Katie  Thanks for that.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nicola343 So it might only be applicable to people using channel managers then.