Host Liability Insurance

Simone1766
Level 1
Beerwah, Australia

Host Liability Insurance

..."under section 6.2 to Airbnb's Terms of Service, Hosts are responsible for understanding and complying with any laws, rules, regulations, and contracts with third parties that apply to the Host's Listing or Host Services"

Is there anybody who has had a host liability insurance (HLI) claim denied because your listing does not comply with local laws and regulations, or any other failure to comply with AirBnB's terms of service? I have a tiny home that does not comply with the building code (it is too big to be classified as a caravan). HLI does not specifically exclude us but is this a loophole that could leave us exposed? We are unable to find any other insurance company willing to provide us with public liability insurance. We are in Queensland, Australia. 

Thnak you for your assistance, in advance. 

6 Replies 6
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Simone1766 ! Were you able to connect with Hosts from Australia to gather more information around your concerns?

It would be really nice if some of our helpful Host members from the region could help us here with their expert advice and sharing experiences : @Robin4  @Laurelle3 @Helen744 @Cathie19 @Faruk38 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Simone1766 

Hi Simone, it would be unwise to depend on Airbnb for any form of compensation claim, let alone one resulting from a listed building that does not have building or local government compliance.

The obvious question is, what is required to get your building compliant? 

There are three principal rental insurers in  Australia.

Terri Scheer is the main insurer but, they do not insure short term rentals, they provide long term rental coverage.

Of the short term rental insurers Some landlord insurance policies, such as Budget Direct, can cover you for Airbnb and other short term rentals, but generally only if you're renting out a room.

Most landlord policies have conditions you need to meet in order to be covered. For instance, the property needs to be owner-occupied. In other words, you still need to be living at the house to get cover. Other insurers may consider covering you once you've received a quote.

EBM Rentcover is possibly the most flexible STR insurer in Australia but you would need to contact them to ascertain if they would issue a policy in your situation.

https://www.rentcover.com.au/insurance/short-term

Sharecover is the other recognized STR insurer. They are now part of NRMA and do offer coverage by the hosting night. In other words you only pay for nights guests are on your property.....a better option for hosts who don't have a consistent heavily booked calendar.

https://www.nrma.com.au/holiday-rental-insurance

Short term rentals insurers concentrate more on damage a rental tenant is likely to do to a property rather than comprehensive for natural events like bushfires, earthquakes, storm or general structural issues which a general household policy covers.

But Simone, the thing that concerns me is this business of listing building compliance! Insurance companies are notorious for taking policy premiums, but looking for loopholes when a claim arises. I am not an insurance broker and am not qualified to give reliable insurance advice, but when dealing with the public you must do whatever you can to protect yourself adequately.....and that means more than relying on damage wavers.

For argument sake, you may have pushbikes you are prepared to let guests have the use of. Once they leave the perimeter of your property and are on public land a damage waver will not stand up in a court of law. It can be argued that the pushbike was not maintained in a suitable condition for public use!  You become responsible!

My best advice to you is......get your building code compliant!

All I can tell you is, although not built as a habitable structure my listing does have local government compliance and I have an STR policy with EBM Rentcover. I can't tell you how good it is because I have never put it to the test but, I have set a high excess  of $2,500 which keeps my premium down and $6 per hosting night goes into a interest baring damage account, and if a rug, bedlinens, toaster, crockery, any reasonably minor damage occurs, which the guest doesn't want to own up to, I don't hassle the guest or Airbnb, I just pull what is required out of the damage fund and get on with hosting.

I wish you well Simone, get onto one of the STR insurers above and see what they will do for you, All the best.

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4. Rob, sorry but some of your info is out of date.

Terri Sheer do offer STR. Its called Holiday Rental Insurance. Can cover loss of rent, contents and building as well as public liability. Policy either for property manager or DIY owner. I have no idea whether it would cover a transportable home though. Best @Simone1766 calls them direct to ask.

Sharecover you can only do now on a per night basis (closed other short term policy a while ago)

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Frances3408 

Insurance is a topic I generally like to stay away from because, it's something I personally have no control over,  the playing field is altering all the time and every time you recommend something it comes back to bite you because.....things have changed.

The point of my post was,

A/......don't rely on Airbnb.

B/.......Get your building compliant to avoid insurance loopholes.

C/......Take control of your business and make sure you have some money set aside to cover minor incidents and leave STR insurance for major events to keep your premiums realistic.

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4. I did say some. The other stuff with your major points was as usual, pearls of wisdom. Sorry I didnt mention that. 🙂

Joy1664
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

ACS Financial does a lot in this space. Pretty sure they can also provide coverage when the home is both lived in by the owner and used for short-term rental property use