Hosting/Cohosting setup with parents - how to facilitate inheriting an operating AirBnB? - USA

Answered!
Joseph2366
Level 2
New Haven, CT

Hosting/Cohosting setup with parents - how to facilitate inheriting an operating AirBnB? - USA

Hello, I am soon to be remote hosting in the upper Chesapeake Bay area of Maryland's Eastern Shore.  The beautiful mid-century brick ranch house I grew up in now stands empty. It was originally built an in-law suite / main home.  I want to open up the in-law suite to guests while taking time to renovate the main home.

My parents are both living, and now reside near me in New England, a few hours from the house, which remains in their name.  

I understand from reading posts here that the usual arrangement will be to have my folks be the hosts, and me the co-hosts, since the house is not currently in my name.  But I expect to continue hosting at the property even in the event of my parent's passing.  Continuity and good ratings have value, and keeping any superhost status etc. seems like a good thing in the event of such a transition.  

Does AirBnB allow for shifting from co-host to host?  Can hosts place their AirBnB accounts in a trust or will?  What are the tax implications of transferring the account -- does it have "value?"

I'd appreciate any suggestions, information, or links as I work with my folks to set this up.  Any experiences y'all have had with trusts or other legal management arrangements would also be of value -- I don't think that transferring the property to me now makes sense tax-wise.  But I'm sure there are legal instruments of which I'm unaware.

Also, while I'm here, I also need to understand how variable sections of the home may be listed and hosted -- 1. the in-law suite alone, 2. the main house alone, and 3. both together.

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just set it up in your name add your parents as. Cohost . They can then pay you a percentage to manage if you want to charge them with the majority going to them ie 85% to them @Joseph2366 

do familiarise with the Airbnb Help website as it will answer many of your questions. 

you can set up listings for each property and link them . 

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just set it up in your name add your parents as. Cohost . They can then pay you a percentage to manage if you want to charge them with the majority going to them ie 85% to them @Joseph2366 

do familiarise with the Airbnb Help website as it will answer many of your questions. 

you can set up listings for each property and link them . 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Joseph2366, welcome to the community.

Helen has given very good advice. Have you had the opportunity to read her comment? Adding  to Helen's advice, you can access the Resource Center and the Help Center from our community by clicking the Community Center button at the top left of the screen, as shown in the image below:

Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 2.53.18 PM.png

I hope this helps. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad