Hosting an experience as a foreigner in Italy

Sophie1907
Level 1
Winters, CA

Hosting an experience as a foreigner in Italy

I am currently looking to host an experience (meditation retreat) in a house I own in Italy. I am not a permanent resident. Would it be possible to operate this experience with only a tourist visa? Any advice on hosting an experience as a non-EU foreigner in Italy?

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sophie1907  I don't know specifically about Italy, but I don't know of any country that allows foreigners on a tourist visa to operate a business.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

You can in Spain, but it's very complicated, bureaucratic, and you'll pay 24% base rate tax. Don't even think about it without having an experienced tax/legal advisor and accountant on retainer. Also expensive. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Sophie1907 ,

Welcome to the Community Center! Perhaps my colleague, @Francesca  who is the Community Manager of the Italian speaking community, can recommend some Hosts that can share their knowledge on this question?

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Francesca
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, @Sophie1907 I wish I could participate! 🙂

I think you can, but I am not an expert at all: It would be nice to ask our lovely Italian Hosts directly. Do you speak Italian?

In any case write your question here and add a bit of info (where, for how long, how many people, more or less...) > I can help with translations in case you write in English. I know two or three words of that language 🙂 (I am Italian).

F

Hey, hai un dubbio o una domanda?

Pubblicala cliccando >>QUI<< troveremo la risposta insieme.

Dai un’occhiata alla nostra netiquette, le

Linee guida della community

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Sophie1907 

If you want to know whether you can run a business in Italy whilst on a tourist visa then you will need to check with the Italian authorities. As you're probably aware most countries don't allow people to run a business while on a tourist visa, but you can check on the Italian embassy site for conditions attached to your tourist visa.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I can't speak for Italy, but in Spain, a tourist visa has nothing to do with it. 

Foreigners, non residents and non-EU citizens can legally establish a business here, but again, complicated, bureaucratic, and expensive. It's quite a bit easier if you own the property you'll be offering, since you'll already be on the tax registry. 

But then there's also tourist licensing, which, here in the Balearics, is outrageously expensive to establish. 3500€ per bed, if I remember correctly (one time fee) . You should NOT attempt to offer any type of STR tourist let without licensing, if required in your jurisdiction. Here, it's up to 40000€ fine and a permanent shutdown, and most booking platforms won't accept you without it.