How can I view the taxes that are assessed for my listing to ensure they are accurate?

Answered!

How can I view the taxes that are assessed for my listing to ensure they are accurate?

Hello, I have attempted to contact Airbnb customer service to inquire what percentages of taxes are being assessed for my listing but they will not share that information with me. My listing is located in an unicorporated area, so the only taxes that are required are county and state taxes, no city taxes. How can I view the taxes and modify if needed?

1 Best Answer

Hi @Christopher1962 

Airbnb lumps all the taxes (sales tax & occupancy tax) under one line item on the reservation breakdown as "Occupancy Taxes".  They will not show percentages for each taxing jurisdiction, but you can see what taxing authority they are collecting for on your listing. Contact each taxing authority to determine what tax percentages should be collected. You'll need that to determine if Airbnb is collecting the correct percentages later:

Go to Listing Editor and tap the three-line icon (symbol for preferences)

Joan2709_1-1710555629954.png

Joan2709_2-1710555928515.png

Here you'll find the taxing authorities they are collecting for (but not the percentages):

Joan2709_3-1710556231060.png

Once you have contacted your local taxing authorities to verify the percentages you should be collecting, you'll need to breakdown the lump "Occupancy Taxes" on a reservation to determine if it's calculated correctly. Below is an example:

Joan2709_4-1710556350924.png

Most Hosts create a spreadsheet and keep track of every reservation and break down the taxes on the spreadsheet in case they are needed at tax time. You can also download a CSV file from the Earnings tab and put it in Excel. Isn't Hosting fun! 😏😜😉

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi @Christopher1962 

Airbnb lumps all the taxes (sales tax & occupancy tax) under one line item on the reservation breakdown as "Occupancy Taxes".  They will not show percentages for each taxing jurisdiction, but you can see what taxing authority they are collecting for on your listing. Contact each taxing authority to determine what tax percentages should be collected. You'll need that to determine if Airbnb is collecting the correct percentages later:

Go to Listing Editor and tap the three-line icon (symbol for preferences)

Joan2709_1-1710555629954.png

Joan2709_2-1710555928515.png

Here you'll find the taxing authorities they are collecting for (but not the percentages):

Joan2709_3-1710556231060.png

Once you have contacted your local taxing authorities to verify the percentages you should be collecting, you'll need to breakdown the lump "Occupancy Taxes" on a reservation to determine if it's calculated correctly. Below is an example:

Joan2709_4-1710556350924.png

Most Hosts create a spreadsheet and keep track of every reservation and break down the taxes on the spreadsheet in case they are needed at tax time. You can also download a CSV file from the Earnings tab and put it in Excel. Isn't Hosting fun! 😏😜😉

Thank you so much for this! Am I alone in thinking it's absolutely insane AirBnb won't simply share an itemized accounting of taxes with their hosts? I can't think of any good reason they shouldn't do this.

Yes...it is insane 😁

Vrbo spells it all out for the Host. Not sure what the logic is in not disclosing the taxing authority AND the percentage on Airbnb.

Hi @Christopher1962 

One more thing forgot to mention...the tax info doesn't appear (in preferences) on your phone in the App for some strange reason. It is currently only showing on a computer (desktop/laptop). It simply just doesn't appear on your phone in the App.