How is everyone's listing doing during Inflationary times?

Cathy953
Level 2
California, United States

How is everyone's listing doing during Inflationary times?

Just wanted to put this question out there.

I can say our cabin 1.5 hours north of LA, Southern Cal has definitely slowed down:

1. Gas prices

2. Inflation

3. Glut on the Market

4. I was in active on airbnb for a while, opting for Evolve (don't recommend), and now I just listed on Bookings.com even though they take a 15% fee.

Thanks for reading.

Btw: did everyone sign the petition to your California Senator re: the 15% tax on our STR income?

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cathy953 The 15% booking.com fee is identical to the Airbnb host only fee so shouldn't be an issue. 

Sadly we have reduced prices this year due to your 2nd/3rd points (glut on the market &inflation) rather than increased prices due to the tripling of our energy costs and inflation (your points 1 and 2).

Ah well - Many hosts will fail soon and the market will improve eventually.

Thanks Mike and Jane. I wonder with all earnestness, searching far and wide, for a reason why this glut in our government, and if humanity is doomed to repeat its mistakes.

Whatever your persuasion, I hate to give up on mankind...just wish we would evolve to embrace and learn from our follies.

Howdy @Mike-And-Jane0 ...have things improved during summer?

Not 1 here!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Cathy953  There seems to be a general apprehension on the part of consumers to commit to the cost of a vacation much too early probably besides the reasons you listed and the nervousness of layoffs doesn't help matters either. The residual effects/consequences of Covid 19 on many fronts are still with us and the present low consumer confidence isn't doing any one of us any favors. I expect the present atmosphere to go on until the end of 2024.

Cathy953
Level 2
California, United States

@Fred13 Belize,  the Carribean? I guess I could Google. I've been thinking of visiting San Antonio del Mar, but people are more paranoid about Baja, than my moving from Northern Cal to Southern. Does one need a passport to visit south of the border? Just trying to get away from $2600+ hoi, 10.25% sales tax, $1988 hoa, and a lack of sanity in modern times.

@Cathy953 US passport or Visa for Belize. Nothing else required except the expectation to have a great time. 😎