How to get refund for false advertisement?

Raham482
Level 1
Ajax, Canada

How to get refund for false advertisement?

I rented a 2 bedroom airbnb from september 7th 2020-october 7th 2020 for $3,200. After I checked in, I immediately noticed that the place 

1. did not have proper stove to cook on and no oven at all

2. second bedroom did not have proper bed. It had sofa bed. The door in between the 2 rooms was a see through door. There was no privacy in between the rooms at all. 
3. The sound of ventilation was extremely loud and out of my control to turn off/on. plus I could literally hear every step the upstairs renters took and every music they listened to. 
4. The A/C and heating system was not in my control either. The host apparently controlled it. 

I immediately contacted the host and told him all the issues listed above and asked him if he could do anything aboht it. He simply straight up told me NO and if I ddint like his place, then I should look for another accommodation that i am more comfortable at. 
So then I contacted airbnb and told them the same issues and told them I wanted a different place if possible. They told me they understand my situation and are willing to help me out. They canceled the reservation for me on the phone without giving me the cost breakdown the next day but refused to give a refund or another plce to stay. So I ended paying $3,200 for a night of stay. I spent 7 nights in my car until I could afford to pay for another airbnb and every one of those 7 nights I was on the phone with airbnb customer support. Each airbnb worker I was on the phone with told me they understand my situation and are willing to help me out with everything and will call me back in couple pf hours once they confirm it with their manager (because I told them the issues immediately), but never got back to me. And each customer support I talked the next day said he/she doesn’t understand why the previous person would do that to me. 

My question is, what can I possibly do to get my refund from airbnb? Do I spend more money on lawyer and go to court or is there another way?

your help  and advice is much appreciated 

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Go to the media @Raham482 

Media as in news channels ?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Raham482 

This is a "long term stay", having the "long term stay" cancellation policy attached. If you would have cancelled, there would be no refund in this case. If Airbnb cancels, you may expect at least an explanation about possible refund and/or investigation of your complaints. Maybe you should have stayed some more nights , so things could be sorted out, one way or the other. If Airbnb just cancels without refund or relocation options, then what is the advantage of contacting them anyway ?

Did you consider shortening the reservation ? Probably the host would not accepted it, but at least you could try..

I hope you can still sort things out with Airbnb, as the support you received is rediculous, as you descibe it.

Best regards,

Emiel

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Raham482  One thing I have to ask about all your complaints about this place you found unacceptable. 

Did you read everything about the place that there was to read in the listing description? Did you read through the amenities list? Did it say it had an oven? Did it say what kind of stove it had? or show photos of the kitchen? Did it say there was a sofa bed in the 2nd bedroom?

I'm asking because you can't book a place and then expect to find things provided that you assumed would be there, as opposed to what was advertised. 

AC/ heating is often controlled by the host, as otherwise guests will sometimes do disrespectful things like blast the heat or AC with the windows open, or go out all day and leave it turned up high, resulting in huge utility bills for no good reason for the host.

I can understand not wanting to stay somewhere that is really noisy- was the noise factor mentioned at all in the ad? 

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

How was it a false advertisement?

Hello Raham,

l had the same problem with airbnb!there were false advertising about security camera!l also need a refund.please reach me if you want ti so we can do something legally!

i had same issues. I let them know I had to leave (could stay only 4 days out of 30 days). Didn’t get refund. Did you get anywhere with your refund? My number is

** if you want to chat. Thanks! 

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Barry439
Level 1
Malibu, CA

Last summer I had to ask for refunds on three problem homes and they EASILY refunded…

Emilia607
Level 1
Port Angeles, WA

Notify your bank/credit card company and dispute the charges. I have done this on more than one occasion due to false advertisement on the Airbnb website. Banks will not pay Airbnb if the guest did not stay in the Airbnb due to false advertisement.