I really need help in revising my 1099k

Answered!
URbnb1
Level 2
Nashua, NH

I really need help in revising my 1099k

Hi. All,

Can someone please help me It's seems like I am in a big trouble. Airbnb reported my all Canada and USA 2022 earnings to 1099k.

I am a Canadian citizen and temporary worker in USA. I have SSN and I file taxes in both countries every year.

For Canadian properties I cannot claim tax credit in USA and that money I never received in US bank. I made separate banks for US and Canada.

I am asking to revise my 1099k for only US income and seems nobody is getting my request. 

Can someone escalate my issue and help me revising 1099 for only US properties ?

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is an international community so we won't necessarily know of accountants in your part of the US.

have you tried posting on your local host group @URbnb1 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@URbnb1 Do you have a tax accountant versed in US and Canadian tax law? If not I recommend you get one.

Please recommend me. But the one I am working with he said your Canadian income should never be reported on 1099.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is an international community so we won't necessarily know of accountants in your part of the US.

have you tried posting on your local host group @URbnb1 

Hi @URbnb1 

I don't think what your accountant said is accurate. As long as you present a SSN, any American company will have to report all income no matter where the income generates.

IRS does not distinguish SSN numbers by citizen or worker resident. As long as you have one, they assume you are responsible for income earned anywhere in the world. So it's not realistic to expect Airbnb to revise that for you.  It's the accountant's job to itemize and deduct that portion of the income. 

You can walk into any HR Block in border towns  and they will have knowledge of filing dual taxes. You may ultimately have to pay some taxes on it because the filer has an SSN and the company is in the US. 

I read through the tax forms..I should have filed w8 form instead of w9. I am not the resident of US. I need to report first on Canada then in US. For W8ECI form I would get 1042 that doesn't not includes international earnings. 

If I file in US with all Canadian income how can I get credit ?  Even I am not a resident of US.

@URbnb1 

Yes, when you said 1099K I assumed you were a resident because that can be issued for a w9.  A W8EIC would confirm that you are not a US taxpayer and therefore you would not have to report any 1099s issued for you (technically you wouldn't even get one). 

You need to go back and change W9 immediately. You might need file some amendments if you already filed taxes. 

I havent file the tax yet. But I asked Airbnb to revise my tax document. For w8 form is also for the ones who file taxes every year. I think I made mistake by filling w9. I already changed the form to w8. Do you think Airbnb will revise my 1099 and issue 1042? How can I get help in this issue? I not getting help through online ticket.

@URbnb1  AirBnB will not revise the tax document you received.