I was massively scammed

Stephen1120
Level 2
Ellicottville, NY

I was massively scammed

I am providing the message I wrote to Airbnb. They refused to give me back the full refund I was blackmailed into sending to the most insane/manipulative/psychopathic guests I have ever encountered. 

Good afternoon Hana,

I thought I summarized the events in the message chain, but I'll do it again for you.

The guest arrived at my townhouse at approximately 5:00pm. Upon arrival, it appears they inspected the place and notified me that the cleaner we hired missed a few locations in the house. (Based on the dialogue, it was clear to me that they had done this before in order to attain discounts and refunds, but that is just my personal opinion. I'm sure you could determine that is correct upon review of their travel/account history.) I immediately began searching for a cleaner who could come to the house to clean the areas that were missed. The one cleaner who was available on a holiday weekend told me she could be there the next day (Saturday 11/28) at 10:00am. This did not suffice. The guest called me and began harassing me. The guest told me they worked for the district attorney's office in Rochester and knew the "health department inspector" directly. The guest told me they would have my air bnb shut down permanently and that I would be fined thousands of dollars if I did not send a cleaner immediately.

Following that harassment, I called the cleaner and BEGGED them to go to the townhouse to clean that night. At approx. 6:00pm 11/27 the cleaner showed up. This was LESS THAN AN HOUR after the original complaint. Upon arrival, the cleaner told me the guest was belligerent and drunk. The cleaner tried calming the guest down and said he would be done in an hour. The guest continued yelling and shouting hysterically at the cleaner and once again repeated the claims that my townhouse would be shut down by the health department. The guest told the cleaner that he was a district attorney in Rochester. The guest was NOT HAPPY that the cleaner had arrived because the guest wanted to stay at the townhouse the entire weekend FOR FREE. After about 20 minutes of harassing my cleaner, the guest SENT THE CLEANER AWAY and DID NOT ALLOW the cleaner to clean even though he had showed up in under an hour and told the guest he could be done in under an hour.

After the cleaner left, the guest called me directly. At this point the guest was even more belligerent, maniacal, and insane. The guest once again threatened to shut my place down. He said he would call the cops and the health department and that they would show up the next morning if I did not immediately send them a full refund. I asked the guest why he did not let the cleaner perform his duties and he said quote "suck my **bleep**ing **bleep** faggot. If you don't send me a refund I will **bleep** your life up and destroy you. I am a **bleep**ing district attorney" among many other things. Out of fear, I immediately sent a full refund and had a conversation with an air bnb rep letting them know what happened. I also told the guest that they would have a few hours to leave my townhouse because I was concerned that they would damage or destroy the place and/or personal items in the townhouse. I have not yet inspected the townhouse, so I do not know if they caused any damage or stole any property.

Following the conversation with the Airbnb representative, I simply googled the guests name and found out that he is not a district attorney. The internet showed that he works for an exterminator company in Rochester. At that point, I realized I had been completely fooled and that everything the guest had been saying was a lie. He was threatening me and my airbnb and scaring me and my family with these false accusations and fabricated fantastical lies. The man was clearly drunk or insane.

I do not believe I should be liable for the full refund especially when I lost the opportunity to book to guests that are not psychotic and deranged. I also had to pay TWO CLEANERS a total of $225 which means I lost out on over $700 from the weekend. I am also terrified that this psychopath will return at some point to cause damage based on his threats. I am requesting that Airbnb cover the costs for the reservation and remove that guest from the application so that no other hosts have to deal with them.

After inspecting my place I discovered that the guests had intentionally dropped dust bunnies all over the surfaces, fed their dog out of my people bowls, urinated all over the toilet/toilet seat and bathroom floor, destroyed my planter, etc. 

———

Can someone please help me?? Someone from the community? My family needs this to survive and I’m out over $700. 

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Stephen1120 

IMO the community can not do much for you regarding getting back some money.

You refunded the guest. Does it mean: you cancelled the reservation yourself and after that you provided a full refund via resolution centre ? At which point did you contact Airbnb ?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Duplicate post removed