Insurance Claim for personal Injury to Guest

Answered!
Bo13
Level 1
Boston, MA

Insurance Claim for personal Injury to Guest

A tenant slipped on icy steps in front of my property and hurt her leg.

She will go see her doctor soon to check on the inflammation. Of course she wants me to pay for any expenses. I read through the Host Protection Insurance summary and it looks like this situation is covered.

However, I've read so many stories here about the HPI being a sham. Should I tell her to file a claim now at https://www.airbnb.com/insurance/form? 

1 Best Answer

My story is like yours. I finally got Airbnb to sent me this link. https://www.airbnb.com/insurance/form

Note the words in the link read "insurance form". I haven't filed the info. yet, but in case you want to.

Secondly, we need to file a class-action lawsuit. All of us with stories, experience, etc. Somewhere there has to be a lawyer unafraid enough to help.

View Best Answer in original post

51 Replies 51
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You are the first case I have seen where the Liability Insiurance might apply, everything else has been under the Host Guarantee.

Basically the Insurance covers you against your legal liability so I am assuming that the guest is alleging you were negligent and that negligence caused her injury.

Absolutely notify AirBnb of the incident asap and of course your own insurers.

Please let us know what happens.

David

Hey David, and everyone else. I have hosted for years, but recently as a guest had a trip and fall accident that injured me, and led to mounting medical costs. How do I get the host/ Airbnb to help/ payout? Weeks ago I sought help with the medical costs, but now pain, suffering, medical costs, therapies, time, and aggravation factor in. Too much time is passing with me being ignored. DO I need to go earn a law degree? Thanks for reading, and helping.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

She would not file the claim - YOU would file the claim, as you are the Host.  Definitely Contact Airbnb ASAP to let them know what's going on.

The host would not file the claim. The host would file an incident report only. The person seeking compensation would file the claim. 

How does the guest win the claim? 

Don't get me wrong, for I have hosted for years, but recently as a guest had a trip and fall accident that injured me, and led to mounting medical costs.  How do I file/ win is my question.

Leslie112
Level 2
Castalian Springs, TN

Hi Bo,

Would you please let us know any follow-up to the incident? Have you contacted AirBnB? If so, what was their response?

I am a new listing. I rent the property to be used for AirBnB - I live here and will use a portion of the waterfront property for renting tents. Although my landlady fully supports what I'm doing, she is concerned about her liability as the property owner. AirBnB said to list her as a co-host but when she and I called AirBnB (on speaker) they would not give us a policy number nor the name of the insuring company that covers AirBnB liability insurance. They actually said there is no liability insurance.

Thank you - Leslie

@Leslie112  Those closest information you'll get from Airbnb is this:  https://www.airbnb.com/attachment/download/621968

It ALWAYS a good idea to have you own insurance.  If you spend some time reading here in the community, you'll see a common theme when it comes to people trying to make claims against Airbnb's "insurance policies" - they NEVER come out on top.  I don't think I've read one positive story yet.  So I would take their "policy" with a grain of salt and insure yourself.

Have you advice on how one does this? I contacted Lemonade insurance and their immediate reply was they don't service my state.

Where to start...

My guess is that most people you would speak to when calling AirBB have never come across a Liability claim, most may have dealt with Host Guarantee issues.

Unlike the HG it does say the Liability aspect is Insurance, makes me wonder how they front it, many countries have rules and regulations that would amongst other thing require a local Policy to be issued, and often the Policy would be subject to taxes and fees.

I doubt it is conventionally arranged, unlikely AirBnB pay an annual premium, many ways thay it could be done but that is not really important to the issue at hand.

This of course all assumes they are playing by the rules.... But to answer the question there should be an Insurer and Policy Number for any Country it applies in. It is not an alternative to your own cover but better than nothing for those who have nothing.

David

Hi folks

airbnb offers no insurance

what so  ever.

it is important to read through the host guarantee document 

re written in January 2019

in it 

it explicitly says

” not insurance”

it can assist if they wish to

or not -depending on the whim

they can offer funds

and request them back

”at any point in the future”

it is essential to share outcome stories to the community

in a nutshell

my experience

i live in my home and rented  large upper floor bedroom

guest flooded second floor bathroom /kitchen

and did a runner 

I came home Christmas Eve to about 70,000 worth of damage

after initial response

air bnb wouldn’t take phone calls 

Bounced e mails

mid February 2019

two months later

an adjuster sent

paid out 3,720

i

i am losing my home

Bo13
Level 1
Boston, MA

UPDATE

A few days after I filed the claim, I received a call from an assigned claims handler from Crawford & Company. We scheduled an appointment in which he took some photos of the scene of the accident and audio recorded my account of the situation. It was almost like giving a deposition. I later learned that he already talked with my tenant earlier and got her side of the story. Now it is up to the powers that be at Airbnb make a judgment. That was 15 days ago and I haven't heard anything from anyone since.

Leslie112
Level 2
Castalian Springs, TN

Thank you Cynthia & Chris and David for your honesty, good advice and link to the Host Protection Insurance Summary. Bo, thank you for the update, especially that there really is an insuring company where you live. That alone makes the info from the customer support person false.

I've tried now for three weeks to get liability insurance from several companies. I explain what I'm doing and they say they'll get back. After calling them three times with no return call, I move on to another one. If I don't get insured soon, I'm going to have to pull my listing.

Bo, I'm going to follow this thread. Would you please keep us informed as things progress?

What has happened since?

Haven't heard a peep from anybody but I assume everything's been resolved between the insurance company and my tenant.