Insurance

Answered!
Sandra4365
Level 1
Lake Elsinore, CA

Insurance

Do you need special homeowners insurance to rent with Airbnb? Does Airbnb take care of any damages that is caused by the guess? If you have a pool do you need extra insurance? 
Thank you for any help you can give me. 

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You need your own home insurance for short term lets and ask if they can cover the pool @Sandra4365 

Read up on the Airbnb Guarantee to see what's covered and how to make a claim. 

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sandra4365 

Most insurances will not cover you anymore (at all !) if you rent via Airbnb.

Airbnb generally does not reimburse  (fully) about damages caused by guests

You will find several posts in this community about this subjects.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You need your own home insurance for short term lets and ask if they can cover the pool @Sandra4365 

Read up on the Airbnb Guarantee to see what's covered and how to make a claim. 

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

We have a separate policy for our Air BnB rental with State Farm. It is a "Landlord's" policy and covers business interruption in case of a loss of income due to your air bnb needing repair. Homeowner's policies would not cover this problem. We have our air bnb in a separate building on our property, not a bedroom in our house. We do not have a pool, and every state is different in their requirements, so you ought to discuss this with your insurance agent since pools are a risk. You might want to discuss your insurance policy with more than one agent, too. When I lived in CA I had a pool, and I went with an independent Farmer's agent to cover our place, but that was before Air BnB.

Ted & Chris
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Sandra4365   An independent insurance agent will be able to research and find the best policy for your property.  You need a different kind of policy when you have a property that is rented out as a vacation rental.  A regular homeowners policy will not insure you against renter damages or losses.  You will also need a rider to cover the pool.  

Do not rely on insurance provided by any Online Travel Agency like AirBnB or VRBO.  

Do you have any you recommend?

Lucy747
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb tell you they have an insurance policy but the reality is that they as soon as you start wanting to claim they stop communicating.  Dont trust it with a bargepole. 

Beth4409
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

What happens if a guest gets hurt? For example, a glass shower door falls on them or they slip on the stairs and claim the carpet was loose! This hasn't happened, thank goodness, but I'm trying to anticipate all eventualities.

@Beth4409 you need proper insurance to deal with all eventualities.

SueAnn5
Level 2
Delray Beach, FL

I am new to this as well so my answer is relative.  I notice many responses from the UK.  I live in Florida, the advice to follow your state's laws makes sense.  The only company that would cover my dedicated rental property is Lloyds of London.  I could not get state farm to cover.  
Also to note: my neighbor made a claim with ABNB and had good results on their claim which was not personal injury.  Hope this helps!!

Michael6490
Level 1
Canehill, AR

I found this company that specializes in short term rentals. They seemed to be the best in both coverage and price. I dealt with Ashley and she explained everything. www.proper.insure

Would like to know if any insurance company in Canada provides insurance cover for losses incurred due to guests squatting or overstaying