Insurance

Sean140
Level 5
Prosper, TX

Insurance

Hey Airbnb hosts. Just a little FYI regarding the use of security cameras in your homes. I have received a renewal from Proper Insurance. Please see below :

LIABILITY – PRIVATE AREA SURVEILLANCE EXCLUSION
This form discloses that the policy does not provide liability coverage or defense costs that arise from the presence of surveillance devices, unless the device is monitoring outdoor spaces that are considered public such as the exterior of the front door on the street side of the residence and that section of the driveway connected to a public
street; provided the use or presence of the device(s) were disclosed to a renter
Be very careful where you place your cameras.

** personal contact details hidden **
2 Replies 2
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

This is timely @Sean140  thank you.

I had hassles with a very intrusive neighbour who is renting who has 'Security cameras" angled into private property areas that were not disclosed and impacted on our privacy.

They received a visit from the Constabulary.

Perhaps as a society it's time we had an open conversation where we are heading with surveillance and camera operations.

Schooling and Work from home (WFH)  has created an added problem with people using Zoom etc that also picks up footage of people innocently going about their private lives, including audio (most invasive) in neighbourhood's where there's common property.

Cameras also picking up footage on the street as people go about their lives walking etc are also invasive to those trying to have "private time",

@Helen427 Security cameras are truly a double edged sword.  Used properly they can provide an extra measure of security that brings comfort.  Used inappropriately they can cause a lot of stress, frustration, and anxiety.  Good luck with your neighbor.   I can definitely understand your frustration.  Has anyone else experienced these types of situations?