Interacting with other Hosts

Answered!
Eileen462
Level 10
San Bernardino, CA

Interacting with other Hosts

Hello Hosts!  Are we allowed by AIRBNB standards to exchange phone numbers and contact information with other hosts so we can connect and compare on a personal level? , or are we restricted to communication here only?

1 Best Answer
Marisa182
Level 7
University Park, MD

@Eileen462 

Eileen, I have been trying to contact other hosts for a few years, without success.  I would like to start a small local group so we can meet and exchange ideas and provide support. Since phone numbers are not available, I've decided to book a one night stay with hosts within my zip code. Hoping that if I meet one other host, they may have contacts with one or two more.

I have never used the Super Host bonus that I've gotten since I started hosting, and have decided that booking with local hosts is a good way to meet and support other hosts. But communicating through the Community Center can be very helpful, and you meet some really nice folks like @Robin4 .

Take care, and good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Eileen462 

Eileen, you do have a wealth of questions.....but that is not all bad because, for new hosts, the only way you learn is by asking questions.

I once had a guest arrive, he had booked for one evening. He liked what he was seeing and asked if he could extend his reservation an extra night! I told him as the next night was available he was welcome to extend his reservation.

It was then that complications set in!!!!

He said he had an Airbnb travel coupon he had been given for a problem with a previous stay and he wanted to use that coupon to extend this stay. Knowing full well how Airbnb operates, I told him that coupon he had would only be able to be used for an up-coming stay, not one he was currently utilizing......I told him to get onto Airbnb support and see if there was some way he could use his coupon for this particular stay (my mistake).That was about 2.15pm in the afternoon.

At 6.30pm that evening I got an instant book for the next evening from a French tourist with his wife and 2 children!!!

I went down to the current guest in our cottage and asked if he had decided not to proceed with a next night booking. He said to me...."No it's all been arranged, I have got onto support in Manila and they are allowing me to use my coupon for tomorrow evening"

At that very moment I get a call from support in Manila  as follows...."My name is xxxxxx I am your support consultant and I am  currently attending to extending your current reservation for guest xxxxxx for an additional night stay at your property and I have noticed  an IB  slide in and grab your listing for tomorrow evening. Do you mind if I relocate the IB to another Airbnb property?"

I said to this support person there is no way that I will allow and submit to a host cancellation! He told me it would not be a host cancellation, he would relocate the guest, give him a 10% relocation bonus and I should not worry about it any further. He said he would contact me the next day to confirm the IB booking had been relocated. On that basis I gave him the go-ahead. 

The next day support rang me to say the IB had in fact been found another listing and I did not have to worry about it any further........great, Airbnb doing their job!

At 6.30 that evening French IB booking with his wife and 2 kids walks around the corner wanting to know where the listing he had booked was......WHAT THE F>>>!

I got onto support in Manila, and........ I guess his mouth moved but, nothing coherent came out of it!!

I rang around the other Airbnb hosts I have a regular relationship with, we get together often for a coffee and a chat, and managed to get this IB booking into another listing for the evening. He was not happy but, we managed to sort it out where Airbnb support were completely useless.

What had happened! the French guest did not have an Australian sim card in his phone and made the booking from his wife's phone. All the Airbnb messages were being sent to his phone rather than his wife's and he was not getting them. He naturally assumed that the booking had been accepted, as he hadn't heard anything to the contrary and genuinely felt he had a confirmed reservation at our property!!!

Eileen we were able to sort this out as communal hosts where as Airbnb were completely hopeless. We didn't bother to involve Airbnb any further, we just let the stay proceed and when the funds for the stay appeared in my account I just transferred them over to the host who actually hosted the stay. The only downside was, she didn't get to review the guest!

Eileen, we are islands in a hosting ocean, it's up to us to make STR work, not depend on Airbnb. It works well in my part of the world because we work together here, not expect Airbnb to be our Fairy Godmother!

Airbnb will not give you other hosts information but a quick search of your area will enable you to make contact with other local hosts and I can't emphasise how important it is to have that local back-up when you might need it

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4   Hello Rob my friend!  I always love your replies!  Thats why I ask so many questions!  lol... just trying to keep things active around here and learn at the same time!

Wow what an interesting situation you were in.  Im glad you were able to work it out with another host.  I would love to know other hosts.

Marisa182
Level 7
University Park, MD

@Eileen462 

Eileen, I have been trying to contact other hosts for a few years, without success.  I would like to start a small local group so we can meet and exchange ideas and provide support. Since phone numbers are not available, I've decided to book a one night stay with hosts within my zip code. Hoping that if I meet one other host, they may have contacts with one or two more.

I have never used the Super Host bonus that I've gotten since I started hosting, and have decided that booking with local hosts is a good way to meet and support other hosts. But communicating through the Community Center can be very helpful, and you meet some really nice folks like @Robin4 .

Take care, and good luck!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Marisa182 

Hi Marisa, the best way to contact local hosts is to do what I did and send a DM.....a direct message!

The Community Centre DM system is not subject to personal sanitisation, you can give your phone number and your personal details without fear of it being removed......(maybe I shouldn't have said that!!!). 

Airbnb have not cottoned on to the fact that a strong local communicating hosting network can  be a decided advantage when it comes to short term renting. We help each other out!

I get together with 6 other local hosts on a regular basis. We compare notes and we  have a strong bond. All we want to do is make Airbnb work.....and in the main, we succeed! 

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4 

Thank you Rob, I will give DM a try. If you are ever in the DC area in the good old USA, come on over for coffee!

Best,

Marisa

@Robin4   Hello Rob!  How do I DM??  Just send a message??

@Marisa182   Hello Marisa!  That is a wonderful answer and great idea!  AIRBNB should realize that the more hosts collaborate, the better it is for business all the way around!  Thank you for your reply!  Smiles,  Eileen

@Eileen462 

Hi Eileen, I think also that there are laws prohibiting Airbnb from distributing or making personal information available to anyone other than the booking guest. I guess it protects everyone involved. Take care, and nice chatting with you. Marisa

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Marisa182  @Eileen462 

A good place to start to build up an acquaintance network is through your local Facebook group. As you girls are in built up areas in California and Maryland there is sure to be local Facebook groups.

There are 630 members in my local Adelaide Airbnb Facebook group with @Sarah5000  as the moderator. Sarah is one of 2 Australians on the current Airbnb Host Advisory Board and she has also worked in the same Airbnb support role that I did a few year ago as a community expert. She does a wonderful job in organising and running our local group!

We get together at a coffee lounge/restaurant every 5 or 6 weeks and we generally get around 30-35 hosts at these get togethers. On occasions we have a guest speaker from another state or country and, as well as the social aspect of coming together, we learn a lot from each other. We also hold regular Zoom meetings which means we don't have to leave our houses to be able to talk with each other.

It's lovely and comforting to have this 'fall-back' pool of hosts at your disposal  and I would suggest to you to search out your local Facebook group and start building some relationships from there.

Cheers.........Rob

@Robin4   Thanks Rob!  Cheers!

@Robin4 

Hi Rob, I don't think I thanked yesterday for all the great information you so generously share. Thank you, and have a wonderful weekend!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Marisa182 

Hi Marisa, that's my pleasure. I guess we have all got better things to do with our time than spend it bashing the keyboard but, I got a lot of wonderful help when I started out here back in 2015, and if something I say can help someone else, I am paying it forward and that makes me feel great. 

Summer is just around the corner here so, can't help but have a nice weekend. You too Marisa.

Cheers........Rob